Wyandot Indian Subagency (Kansas)
|Native American Topics|
|Bureau of Indian Affairs|
Indian Tribes Associated With This Agency[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
The Wyandot Subagency in what became Kansas was established in 1843 for members of the Wyandot tribe who had emigrated from Ohio. The Wyandots in Ohio had been assigned to the Ohio Subagency, which sometimes was called the Wyandot Subagency. The subagency headquarters was located at the site of Wyandot City, which is now part of Kansas City.
The Wyandot Subagency was discontinued in 1851. The Wyandot Indians were assigned to the Kansas Agency from 1851 to 1855, to the Shawnee Agency from 1855 to 1863, and to the Delaware AGency from 1863 to 1869. Most of the Wyandots moved to the Seneca Reservation in Indian Territory by 1870 and were assigned to the Neosho Agency and thereafter to the Quapaw Agency.
Records[edit | edit source]
Letters received by the Office of Indian Affairs from the Wyandot Subagency, 1843-1863 and 1870-1872 have been microfilmed by the National Archives as part of their Microcopy Number M234, Rolls 950-952. Copies are available at the National Archives and at the Family History Library and its family history centers on their microfilm roll numbers 1661680 thru 1661682. This correspondence includes some relating to the settlement of Wyandot affairs in Kansas after they moved to Indian Territory. There is also a "Wyandot Reserves" subheading under this Agency, which includes correspondence, 1845-1863, relating to Wyandot lands in both Kansas and Ohio. Some correspondence regarding Wyandot affairs in Kansas and even in Indian Territory was filed under this heading for 1870 thru 1872.
References[edit | edit source]
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974, pp. 210-211.
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998, Microcopy M234, p. 8.
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974.
- Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105.
- Marquette University. Guide to Catholic-Related Records in the Midwest about Native Americans.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online