Obituaries have been published in Wisconsin since the mid- to late-nineteenth century. Obituaries may provide information such as the age of the deceased, birth date and place, names of living relatives and their residences, maiden name, occupation, death date, cause of death, and place of burial. Deceased family members are frequently mentioned. Obituaries may also mention previous places of residence, immigration information, religion, and any social organizations or activities in which the deceased was involved.
Generally, the first step to obtaining an obituary is to find the death date of the person so that the obituary can be more easily found in a newspaper. Death dates may be obtained from a variety of records. See: Wisconsin Vital Records.
Online Obituary Resources[edit | edit source]
- Wisconsin Genealogy Index includes obituaries in the 150,000-entry index.
Additional Obituary Resources[edit | edit source]
- Online Wisconsin Death Records and Indexes
- Northeast Wisconsin Obituary Page
- ObitsArchive.com - Wisconsin ($)
- ObituariesHelp.org - Wisconsin Newspaper Obituaries Listings
- The Obituary Link Page - Wisconsin Obituary Links
- USGenWeb Archives Obituary Project Wisconsin
- Wisconsin Obituaries
- United States, GenealogyBank Obituaries, 1980-2014 — index and images
- Wisconsin Online Historical Newspapers
- Wisconsin Online Historical Newspapers Summary, The Ancestor Hunt
- Wisconsin Newspaper Archives (1833 - 1992), GenealogyBank, ($)
- Newspaper Abstracts Wisconsin
- Historical Newspapers in Wisconsin
- Wisconsin Newspapers ($)
- Wisconsin Newspapers