Open main menu

Wards and Branches of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Parowan Stake, Utah

Revision as of 14:39, 9 January 2013 by Cathymstevens (talk | contribs) (adding pattern)

Utah Church Records go to Washington County Church Records go to Parowan Stake, Utah LDS Church Wards and Branches

This page includes the boundaries of wards and branches as of about 1930, a timeline history, and how to obtain the records.

Source used for this page: Template:UTChurchLDSJensonsBeg p.642-643.Template:UTChurchLDSJensonsEnd

Parowan Stake, 1930Edit

Stake boundaries as of about 1930
See Encyclopedic History..., p. 642-643.[1]

  • Area of the County: Iron County and and small part of Washington County.
  • Headquarters in: Cedar City, Utah
  • Boundaries of stake:

Consists of the Latter-day Saints residing in Iron County, and a small part of Washington County, Utah. Most of the saints constituting the Parowan Stake reside in the east part of the country adjacent to the Wasatch Mountains. From this range a number of creeks issue forth, which are used for irrigation purposes by the inhabitants in the different settlements. An important part of the stake is the so-called Little Salt Lake Valley, with its salt lake, which is well known to the people of southern Utah.



History Timeline up to about 1930

  • 1851 - Parowan, the first settlement in Iron County, was founded in January, 1851.
  • 1877 - Organization of a permanent stake of Zion in July, 1877.
  • 1878 - Parowan Stake of Zion was more fully organized on March 24, 1878.
  • 1919 - Headquarters of Parowan Stake was moved from Parowan to Cedar City.

This timeline (arranged by year) includes events that affected records, record-keeping, and movements of members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in this area.


Other History Resources
Many wards or branches appointed members to compile a history. Copies may be in the ward library or in homes of members. Some contain biographical sketches of members of the ward at the time of compilation.

Obtain the RecordsEdit

Wards and BranchesEdit

Harmony, Pinto.


Harmony WardEdit

See Encyclopedic History..., p. 18-19 .[2]

Boundaries:

Amalga Ward was farming district surrounding a sugar factory belonging to the Amalgamated Sugar Company, which factory stands on the right, or west bank of Bear River, about three miles west of Smithfield and nine miles southwest of Richmond.

History timeline

  • 1918 - On March 10, 1918, the saints at Amalga, who, prior to this, had belonged to the Smithfield 1st and 2nd wards, and Newton and Trenton wards, were organized. Amalga Ward. This name was suggested by the Amalgamated Sugar Company, whose factory activities were the main cause of the ward being organized.

Obtain the records

Pinto WardEdit

See Encyclopedic History..., p. 143.[3]

Boundaries:

Clarkston Ward is situated near the east base of the chain of mountains which separates Cache Valley from Malad Valley. Clarkston is five miles northwest of Newton, 20 miles northwest of Logan, 15 miles west of Richmond, the stake headquarters, and 90 miles north of Salt Lake City. It is also five miles west of Trenton, the nearest railroad station on the Oregon Short Line. Clarkston is the center of a farming district.

History timeline

  • 1864 - Clarkston is one of the earliest settlements in Cache Valley, dating back to 1864, when a townsite called Clarkston was surveyed and dedicated.
  • 1864 - The saints were first organized into a branch.
  • 1867 - Fall of 1876 the branch (which started in 1864) then became a ward.

Obtain the records

ReferencesEdit