Difference between revisions of "Wards and Branches of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Parowan Stake, Utah"

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
m
(added pattern)
Line 41: Line 41:
 
==== Harmony Ward  ====
 
==== Harmony Ward  ====
  
See [http://contentdm.lib.byu.edu/cdm/compoundobject/collection/BYUIBooks/id/2694 ''Encyclopedic History...''], p. 18-19 .<ref>{{UTChurchLDSJensonsBeg}} p. 18-19 .</ref><br>
+
See [http://contentdm.lib.byu.edu/cdm/compoundobject/collection/BYUIBooks/id/2694 ''Encyclopedic History...''], p. 316-317 .<ref>{{UTChurchLDSJensonsBeg}} p. 316-317 .</ref><br>
  
'''Boundaries:'''<br><br>Amalga Ward was farming district surrounding a sugar factory belonging to the Amalgamated Sugar Company, which factory stands on the right, or west bank of Bear River, about three miles west of Smithfield and nine miles southwest of Richmond.  
+
'''Boundaries:'''<br><br>
 +
 
 +
Consists of the Latter-day Saints residing in the town of Harmony, which is pleasantly situated on the north side of Ash Creek, on a fine level tract of country which slopes gently towards the south and Ash Creek, while the northeast extremity of the Pine Valley Mountains rise majestically southwest of the settlement about a mile distant. The town lies in a large cove, there being mountains on the south and north, and only six miles west of the main Wasatch Range. The farming land around Harmony is plentiful, but water for irrigation purposes scarce. The place is healthy and produces good grain and all kinds of fruits of the hardier sorts. Harmony is ten miles southwest of Kanarra, 21 miles by nearest road southwest of Cedar City, and 42 miles northeast of St. George.
  
 
'''History timeline'''  
 
'''History timeline'''  
  
*1918 - On March 10, 1918, the saints at Amalga, who, prior to this, had belonged to the Smithfield 1st and 2nd wards, and Newton and Trenton wards, were organized. Amalga Ward. This name was suggested by the Amalgamated Sugar Company, whose factory activities were the main cause of the ward being organized.
+
*1852 - Fort built on Ash Creek called Harmony in December.
 +
*1853 - Settlement temporarily abandoned because of Indian difficulties.
 +
*1854 - Fort Harmony was built when settlers returned.It served as a branch.
 +
*1862 - Fort Harmony was washed away.
 +
*1864 - Harmony Branch was led by a presiding Elder.
 +
*1867 - Harmony Branch was detached from Cedar City Ward and was organized as a separate ward called Harmony on August 20.
  
 
'''Obtain the records'''  
 
'''Obtain the records'''  
  
*List of {{FHLCAuthorLDSStakesBeg}}Amalga+Ward+(Utah) church and other records] for Amalga Ward, Utah at the [[Family History Library|FamilySearch Library]].  
+
*List of {{FHLCAuthorLDSStakesBeg}}Harmony+Ward+(Utah) church and other records] for Harmony Ward, Utah at the [[Family History Library|FamilySearch Library]].  
 
*For additional resources, see [[LDS Archives and Libraries#Church_History_Library|Church History Library]].
 
*For additional resources, see [[LDS Archives and Libraries#Church_History_Library|Church History Library]].
  

Revision as of 15:38, 9 January 2013

Utah Church Records go to Washington County Church Records go to Parowan Stake, Utah LDS Church Wards and Branches

This page includes the boundaries of wards and branches as of about 1930, a timeline history, and how to obtain the records.

Source used for this page: Template:UTChurchLDSJensonsBeg p.642-643.Template:UTChurchLDSJensonsEnd

Parowan Stake, 1930[edit | edit source]

Stake boundaries as of about 1930
See Encyclopedic History..., p. 642-643.[1]

  • Area of the County: Iron County and and small part of Washington County.
  • Headquarters in: Cedar City, Utah
  • Boundaries of stake:

Consists of the Latter-day Saints residing in Iron County, and a small part of Washington County, Utah. Most of the saints constituting the Parowan Stake reside in the east part of the country adjacent to the Wasatch Mountains. From this range a number of creeks issue forth, which are used for irrigation purposes by the inhabitants in the different settlements. An important part of the stake is the so-called Little Salt Lake Valley, with its salt lake, which is well known to the people of southern Utah.



History Timeline up to about 1930

  • 1851 - Parowan, the first settlement in Iron County, was founded in January, 1851.
  • 1877 - Organization of a permanent stake of Zion in July, 1877.
  • 1878 - Parowan Stake of Zion was more fully organized on March 24, 1878.
  • 1919 - Headquarters of Parowan Stake was moved from Parowan to Cedar City.

This timeline (arranged by year) includes events that affected records, record-keeping, and movements of members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in this area.


Other History Resources
Many wards or branches appointed members to compile a history. Copies may be in the ward library or in homes of members. Some contain biographical sketches of members of the ward at the time of compilation.

Obtain the Records[edit | edit source]

Wards and Branches[edit | edit source]

Harmony, Pinto.


Harmony Ward[edit | edit source]

See Encyclopedic History..., p. 316-317 .[2]

Boundaries:

Consists of the Latter-day Saints residing in the town of Harmony, which is pleasantly situated on the north side of Ash Creek, on a fine level tract of country which slopes gently towards the south and Ash Creek, while the northeast extremity of the Pine Valley Mountains rise majestically southwest of the settlement about a mile distant. The town lies in a large cove, there being mountains on the south and north, and only six miles west of the main Wasatch Range. The farming land around Harmony is plentiful, but water for irrigation purposes scarce. The place is healthy and produces good grain and all kinds of fruits of the hardier sorts. Harmony is ten miles southwest of Kanarra, 21 miles by nearest road southwest of Cedar City, and 42 miles northeast of St. George.

History timeline

  • 1852 - Fort built on Ash Creek called Harmony in December.
  • 1853 - Settlement temporarily abandoned because of Indian difficulties.
  • 1854 - Fort Harmony was built when settlers returned.It served as a branch.
  • 1862 - Fort Harmony was washed away.
  • 1864 - Harmony Branch was led by a presiding Elder.
  • 1867 - Harmony Branch was detached from Cedar City Ward and was organized as a separate ward called Harmony on August 20.

Obtain the records

Pinto Ward[edit | edit source]

See Encyclopedic History..., p. 143.[3]

Boundaries:

Clarkston Ward is situated near the east base of the chain of mountains which separates Cache Valley from Malad Valley. Clarkston is five miles northwest of Newton, 20 miles northwest of Logan, 15 miles west of Richmond, the stake headquarters, and 90 miles north of Salt Lake City. It is also five miles west of Trenton, the nearest railroad station on the Oregon Short Line. Clarkston is the center of a farming district.

History timeline

  • 1864 - Clarkston is one of the earliest settlements in Cache Valley, dating back to 1864, when a townsite called Clarkston was surveyed and dedicated.
  • 1864 - The saints were first organized into a branch.
  • 1867 - Fall of 1876 the branch (which started in 1864) then became a ward.

Obtain the records

References[edit | edit source]