Uckfield, Sussex Genealogy
Guide to Uckfield, Sussex ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Uckfield|
|Parish registers: 1538|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1664|
|Rural Deanery||South Malling|
|Probate Court||Court of the Peculiar of the Archbishop of Canterbury for the Exempt Deanery of South Malling|
|Location of Archive|
|Sussex Record Office|
UCKFIELD (Holy Cross), a market-town, a parish, and the head of a union, in the hundred of LoxfieldDorset, rape of Pevensey, E. division of Sussex, 8 miles (N. E. by N.) from Lewes. The parish is bounded on the west by the river Ouse. The village is situated on an eminence, on the road from Lewes to London and to Tonbridge-Wells. The nave of the church was rebuilt in 1840 and a spire has been added to the tower. The Baptists and Wesleyans have places of worship.
Uckfield Holy Cross was formed initially as a chapelry within Buxted, Sussex Ancient Parish and as an Ecclesiastical Parish in 1846.
A history of the churches Uckfield Holy Cross and St Saviour churches
The parish church of Holy Cross has been designated a grade II listed building British listed building
The church of St Saviour was formed from this parish in the 1960's
Other places of worship in Uckfield include
Grange Evangelical Church
King's Church Sussex Online Parish Clerks (OPC)
Our Lady Immaculate & St Philip Neri (Roman Catholic) dated from 1885 demolished 1957 Rebuilt 1957-1961 Sussex Online Parish Clerks (OPC)
St Saviour (Anglican) Sussex Online Parish Clerks (OPC)
United Reformed Church
Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Ridgewood
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
This parish was part of Uckfield registration district from September 1837. see further details To apply for certificates please contact
The Register Office
Phone 01323 464780
Fax 01323 431386
Deposited parish Records held at East Sussex Record Office
The church was rebuilt by William Moseley in 1839 on the site of an earlier and smaller church, of which the tower and parts of the chancel walls were incorporated into the new structure. It is dedicated to the Holy Cross, and was extended in 1889.
Until 1846 the church was a chapel-of-ease to Buxted, Sussex. It then became a separate parish with its own perpetual curate, who became a rector in 1865.
A chapel-of-ease, St Saviour, Framfield Road, opened in 1904 and was a temporary structure of wood and iron; it remained in use until 1971. A new building opened in 1972 in part of a block of flats for the elderly.
PAR496/1/1 Early registers, 1530-1812
PAR496/1/2 Baptism registers, 1813-1994
PAR496/1/3 Marriage registers, 1813-1989
PAR496/1/4 Banns registers, 1931-1944
PAR496/ 1/5 Burial registers, 1813-1938
PAR496/2 Records relating to the parish registers and interments, 1747-2002
PAR496/3 Service registers, 1889-2000
PAR496/4 Buildings, 1741-1983
PAR496/5 Licenses, 1877-1962
PAR496/6 Income of the benefice, 1846-1950
PAR496/7 Incumbent's other records, 1831-1995
PAR496/8 Rates, 1828-1871
PAR496/9 Accounts, 1704-1937
PAR496/10 Property, 1672 - 
PAR496/11 Churchwardens' other records, c1815-1957
PAR496/12 Minutes, 1623-1940
PAR496/13 Other vestry records, 1852-1889
PAROCHIAL CHURCH COUNCIL
PAR496/14 Minutes, 1926-1993
PAR496/15 Accounts, 1931-1934
PAR496/16 Other Parochial Church Council records, 1915-1976
PAR496/21 Tithe,  - 1932
PAR496/22 Railway records, 1852
PAR496/24 CHARITY, 1740-1994
PAR496/25 SCHOOLS, 1850-1976
PAR496/26 OTHER RECORDS, 1849-1913
PAR496/29 CONSTABLES, 1838-1841
PAR496/30 Rates, 1702-1834
PAR496/31 Accounts, 1704-1835
PAR496/32/1 Settlement certificates, 1699-1786
PAR496/32/2 Removal orders from parish, 1668-1786
PAR496/ 32/3 Removal orders to parish, 1697-1786
PAR496/32/4 Settlement examinations, 1735-1784
PAR496/33 Apprenticeship, 1653-1760
PAR496/34/1 Bastardy examinations, 1724-1770
PAR496/34/2 Warrants to arrest putative fathers, 1706-1782
PAR496/ 34/3 Bastardy bonds, 1680-1780
PAR496/34/4 Maintenance orders, 1724-1779
PAR496/35 Other settlement records, 1671-1783
PAR496/37 Other Overseers' records, 1697-1847
PAR496/39 Rates, 1837-1840
PAR496/40 Accounts 1724
PAR496/41 Other records, 1725
PAR496/43 OTHER CHURCH BODIES; 1905-1975
Uckfield Holy Cross records held at West Sussex Record Office
Bishop’s transcripts 1664-1883
Link to the FamilySearch Catalogue showing the film numbers in their collection Uckfield
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law UnionsEdit
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Sussex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and GazetteersEdit
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 411-414. Date Accessed: 4 October 2013