To request editing rights on the Wiki, click here.

Tips for using the Guion Miller Roll

From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 13:25, 23 May 2011 by HealeyJE (talk | contribs)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

The Guion Miller Roll is a list of Eastern Cherokees who applied for money awarded in 1905 because of a lawsuit. Applications are filed by number. You can obtain a copy of the application paper in the following two ways:

  • National Archives (U.S.). Order a copy online.

Family History Library. Use the Title Search for Eastern Cherokee Applications, August 29, 1906 – May 26, 1909.

If you need the application number, search the general alphabetical index to find your ancestor’s name, state and application number. The index is online on the National Archives (U.S.)pageor an Access Genealogy page.

Guion Miller Rolls in the Family History Library[edit | edit source]

If you cannot find your direct ancestor, look for his or her relatives. The Family History Library has a copy of the index on FHL film number: 378594.

The Applications are on 348 FHL Films: 378594 (first film)

Additional records relating to the enrollment of Easter Cherokee, 1908-1910(National Archives microfilm publications: M685)

  • Report on exceptions with supplemental aroll 1909-1910 FHL Film: 830439 Miscellaneous testimony token before special commissioners volume 1-10, FHL Films: 830440-830444
  • Sizemore, Poindexter and Creek Testimonies FHL Film: 830444
  • Combined index of Eastern Cherokee Rolls A-Z 1851 FHL Film 830445
  • Chapman (1851), Drennen (1851), Siler (1854)Old Settler (1851) Hester (1851and 1884) and Miscellaneous notes and drafts 1851.
    FHL Film: 830445

If you cannot find your ancestor:[edit | edit source]

Before concluding your ancestor’s name is not in the roll, consider the following as you search the indexes.

  • The last name may be spelled differently, or the first name may be abbreviated. Search for variant spellings.
  • Look for your ancestor by his or her English names, Indian name, middle name, nickname, initials, married name, or maiden name.
  • Look for your ancestor’s relatives. They may have mentioned your ancestor in their application documents.
  • Your ancestor may have been added to the supplemental rolls after the general index was compiled.

Not all Cherokees appear on the roll. Search for your ancestor on other records, such as the Dawes Commission Enrollment Records.