Open main menu

St. David Parish, Georgia

Before the American Revolution, the state church of Georgia was the Church of England (the Anglican Church, or Protestant Episcopal Church). Besides keeping parish registers, the church kept many records of a civil nature in their vestry books. The Vestry was as much a political body as a religious one. The wardens and commissioners were responsible for the roads, education, the poor and orphans, voting and collecting taxes in addition to their church duties.

FoundedEdit

St. David Parish (location, GA) was officially created in 1765 as an original colonial parish.

BoundaryEdit

Borders: St. Andrew, St. James, and St. Patrick parishes. For a map, see: Map of Georgia's Colonial Parishes (courtesy: GeorgiaInfo).

Areas Served: St. David Parish served: FIX

Modern equivalent: The original parish covered part of what is present-day county.

ResourcesEdit

CemeteryEdit

Parish HistoryEdit

Parish RecordsEdit

WebsitesEdit

ReferencesEdit