|Singapore Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Directories are alphabetical lists of names and addresses. They list information for the year they are published. They usually show the name of a person, his or her address, and occupation. Directories usually list the head of the household. Directories can also include information such as:
- City maps
- Indexes to streets
- Addresses of churches or cemeteries
A person’s inclusion or omission in directories of successive years can show when he or she came to the city, left the city, or died. Knowing an individual’s address can help you search the census of a large city.
There are various types of directories:
Postal or commercial directories provide alphabetical lists of people living in an area, usually including those engaged in some kind of trade or profession.
- Trade directories contain alphabetical lists of trades and professions and the people engaged in them.
- Street directories have alphabetical lists of the principal streets and the people living there.
- Court directories list the city officers, government officials, and "private" residents.
- Directories can also provide addresses for societies, libraries, newspapers, and other organizations.
- Church directories give information and addresses for dioceses, parishes, and congregations.
Additional years for Singapore directories are available at libraries through World Cat.
- 1883- The Singapore and straits directory for 1883 : containing also directories of Sarawak, Labuan, Sabah or British North Borneo, Siam, Johore and the Protected Native States of the Malay Peninsula and an appendix. (Singapore : Singapore and Straits Print. Off., 1883).
- 1887- The Singapore and Straits Directory for 1887 (1888); containing also Directories of Sarawak, Labuau, British North Borneo, Brunei, Siam, Deli (Sumatra) and adjoining provinces Johore, Kedah and the protected native states of the Malay Peninsula, etc. (Singapore: 1887)
- 1889- The Chronicle & directory : for China, Corea, Japan, the Philippines, Cochin-China, Annam, Tonquin, Siam, Borneo, Straits Settlements, Malay states, &c. / For the year 1889. (Hongkong : Printed and published at the Daily Press Office, 1889?)
- 1891- The Singapore and Straits directory for 1891: containing also directories of the Federated Malay States: Perak, Selangor, Negri Sembilan, Pahang, Johore, Labuan, British North Borneo, Sarawak, Saigon, Siam, Western (Dutch) Borneo, Riouw and Dependencies, Deli (Sumatra) and Adjoining Provinces with an appendix comprising a large amount of useful information : ... annual publication. (Singapore : Fraser & Neave, 1891).
- 1896- Singapore and Straits Directory for 1896.
- 1947- Telephone directory for Singapore and Johore Bahru, August 1947
- 1954- Singapore Street Directory. (Singapore: The Information Division. Ministry of Culture., 1954).
- Guide to Singapore Districts and Street Names