Shelton Washington Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
The Shelton, WA Family History Center has recently been remodeled to make it more user-friendly. Patrons will be enthusiastically greeted by staff who will give you as much or as little assistance as you desire. The staff is continually increasing and updating their knowledge to be more helpful to patrons.
- 1 Center Contacts and Hours
- 2 Calendar and Events
- 3 Center Resources
- 4 Center Services
- 4.1 Premium Online Websites at FHC: FREE - FamilySearch The Family Search web site records span billions of names across hundreds of collections—including census, birth, marriage, death, probate, land, military, IGI extracted, and more.
- 4.2 FamilySearch Affiliate Sites that Add to the Magic :(FREE)
- 4.3 Volunteer at the Center:
- 5 Resources in the Local Area
- 6 Links
- 7 Volunteer at the Center
Center Contacts and Hours
Location and Map:
- 916 N 12 St Shelton WA 98584 United States
- Language:English, Special arrangements can be made for Spanish.
- We are located in the rear of the building and have ADA-compatible access. Entrance to the Family History Center is right inside the rear doors on the right.
- Ample free parking is available.
- Please note that this is not a Family History Center mailing address.
- Tuesday:10:00 am-12:00 pm
- Wednesday: 6:30 pm-8:30 pm
- Thursday: 7:00 pm-8:30 pm
- By Appointment Appointments can be made through the Family History Center Director, Jacquie MacAlevy email@example.com
Center will be closed when Shelton Public schools are closed for bad weather.
Calendar and Events
- There are approximately 400 genealogy books, plus a large number of long-term microfilm and fiche accessible by all patrons.
- There are also the AIS, PERSI, and FamilySearch Catalog on microfiche.
Databases and Software
Family History Center Portal This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- 3 Large Screen Patron Computers (recent models)
- 1 Microfilm readers in dark room for reading ease
- 1 Microfiche reader
- 1 Multi-use printer (color scanner and b/w printer)
- FREE WiFi High Speed Internet access through out building
Premium Online Websites at FHC: FREE - FamilySearch The Family Search web site records span billions of names across hundreds of collections—including census, birth, marriage, death, probate, land, military, IGI extracted, and more.
The local Family History Library also provides FREE use of numerous family history research websites that normally require a subscription fee for access. Visit our local library to see a listing of the available sites and utilize, free of charge, these resources. Shown below are many popular ones.
- My Heritage
- Find My Past,
- American Ancestors
- Godfrey Memorial Library,
- Heritage Quest Online,
- 19th Century British Library Newspaper Digital Archive,
- Alexander Street Press - The American Civil War,
- The Genealogist,
- Historical Map Works Library Edition,
- World Vital Records, and much more.
We have 16 Temple and Family History Consultants to assist you. These volunteers donate their time and many specialize in different areas of research.
Register for Church Member Access to Ancestry.com, findmypast, MyHeritage and American Ancestors.
FamilySearch helps you find additional resources in your Family History Quest. Discover more in the FamilySearch Solutions Gallery
FamilySearch Affiliate Sites that Add to the Magic :(FREE)
- Relative Finder - Check here to discover how you are related the Famous and Infamous locally and around the world. It's a Small World!
- Create Fan / Tree Seek - Take a few minutes and see your family in a 9 Generation Colored Fan Chart, 9 Generation B/W Pedigree Chart and much more!
- Puzzilla.org - If numbers and kalidascopes amaze you, your first visit to this site will have you mesmerized as you see your direct ancestors lined up for 12 generations and then their descendants come spinning back towards you!
- Grandma's Pie - A visit here will help you visualize where your ancestors came from around the globe. You'll be surprised at the relatives you have in unfamiliar lands!
- History Lines - This program will bring to life the history of a family member and show the world they lived in during their lifetime. And yes you can add and edit your stories into the mix!
- Find A Record - This is the fastest way to analyze your tree and help you find the missing and incorrect information. Then it takes you directly to the FamilySearch record for your review and input!
- Master Story Interview Questions - Download this 4 page pdf file, print and take with you whenever you visit family. You will end up with the most amazing family stories to upload to your memories folder!
Volunteer at the Center:
- Do you want to learn more about doing family history? We will teach you how to help yourself while we teach you to help others. We encourage you to do your own research when not assisting patrons.
- Would you like to serve a full or part time mission but need to stay close to home? Come join us at the FHC where you can meet many new people and help them find their ancestors.
- Do you have special computer, language or research skills? We have a place for you to keep those skills honed and practiced, Use 'em or lose 'em.
Resources in the Local Area
Other resources located in Shelton include the Mason County Historical Society and Timberland Regional Library.
There is also a Mason County Genealogical Society.
- Mason County Genealogical Society
- FamilySearch Research Wiki: What It Can Do For You!: A comprehensive video presentation explaining the Wiki, navigating it, and some especially useful pages. Case studies demonstrate using the Wiki for genealogical research. Editing and adding articles to the Wiki are covered.
Volunteer at the Center
Volunteers are always welcome at the center. If you would like to volunteer, please stop by, call, or email the center at firstname.lastname@example.org .
The Shelton Washington Family History Center is a branch library of the Genealogical Library located in Salt Lake City, Utah. The main library was founded in 1894 to gather genealogical records and assist members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints with their family history and genealogical research. The main Library is the largest library of its kind in the world and is visited by an estimated 1,900 or more individual patrons and groups each day. Our Shelton Washington branch library is much more modest.