Richland County, South Carolina Genealogy
Guide to Richland County, South Carolina Genealogy ancestry, family history and genealogy court records, deeds, maps, immigration, maps, military records, newspapers, obituaries, plantations, probate records, slaves, local archives, libraries, museums, churches, cemeteries, and Civil War records.
|Richland County, South Carolina|
Location in the state of South Carolina
Location of South Carolina in the U.S.
- 1 County Information
- 2 Richland County, South Carolina Record Dates
- 3 County Courthouse
- 4 Historical Facts
- 5 Places/Localities
- 6 Resources
- 7 Websites
Richland County was probably named for its "rich land." The County is located in the central area of the state.
Richland County, South Carolina Record DatesEdit
Richland County Courthouse
1701 Main Street
Columbia, South Carolina 29202
Clerk of Court
1701 Main St., Room 205
Columbia, SC 29202
1701 Main St. Suite 207
Columbia, SC 29201
Register of Deeds
1701 Main St.
P.O. Box 192
Columbia, SC 29202
Land Records, Probate and Marriage Records
8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday - Friday
The county is named after its rich soil.
1799--Richland County was created in 1799 from Kershaw District.
County seat: Columbia 
For animated maps illustrating South Carolina county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation South Carolina County Boundary Maps" (1682-1987) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
- A fire during the federal occupation of Columbia in February 1865 destroyed the courthouse and most of the records in it. Most of the equity and probate records, however, had been safely removed. Deed books suffered heavy record losses. Records of Columbia Equity Circuit District are housed in Richland County.
For a complete list of populated places, including small neighborhoods and suburbs, visit HomeTown Locator. The following are the most historically and genealogically relevant populated places in this county:
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See South Carolina Cemeteries for more information.|
- Richland County, SC History, Records, Facts and Genealogy (Genealogy Inc)
- Wikipedia contributors, "Richland, South Carolina," in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richland_County,_South_Carolina. accessed 15/07/2019
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Richland County, South Carolina. Page 611-615 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002; Alice Eichholz, ed. Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources, Third ed. (Provo, Utah: Ancestry, 2004), 607-608.
- "List of counties in South Carolina," Wikipedia.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Voice of Phillip Stalvey, resident of Myrtle Beach, S.C. (2011).
- Wikipedia contributors, "Richland County, South Carolina," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richland_County,_South_Carolina, accessed 28 December 2019.