Quebec, Wills - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
|This article describes a collection of records scheduled to become available at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of Canada|
|Location of Quebec, Canada|
|Title in the Language||Québec, Testament, 1759-1932|
|Archives Nationales du Quebec|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can these Records Tell Me?
- 3 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 4 What Do I Do Next?
- 5 Citing This Collection
What is in This Collection?
This collection includes probate records from 1759-1931. Images of wills from several judicial districts are included in this collection. In Quebec, records that are equivalent to probate records are part of the notarial records. This includes wills, inventories after death, and guardianship records.
Reading These Records
Browse This Collection
|You will be able to browse through images in this collection when it is published.|
What Can these Records Tell Me?
The following information may be found in these records:
How Do I Search This Collection?
Search the IndexYou will be able to search this collection when it is published.
View the ImagesYou will be able to view the images in this collection when it is published.
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Look at an image of the original record. The original may contain information that was not recorded in the index
- Use the information found in the will to search for the family in census records
- Use the information found in the will to search for the family in church records
- Use the information found in the will to search civil registration records
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking for, What Now?
- If your ancestor does not have a common name, collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This can help you find possible relatives
- Search the records of nearby areas
- The person may be recorded with an abbreviated or variant form of their name
- Try searching by surname only
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in Canada.
- Step-by-Step Quebec, Canada Research
- Quebec, Canada Genealogy
- Quebec Search Strategies
- Quebec Record Finder
- Record Finder
- Research Tips and Strategies
Related Family History Library Holdings
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.