Prowers County, Colorado Genealogy
Guide to Prowers County, Colorado ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Prowers County, Colorado|
Location in the state of Colorado
Location of Colorado in the U.S.
|Founded||April 11, 1889|
|Address||Prowers County Courthouse|
300 S Main Street
Lamar, CO 81052-2857
Prowers County Website
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 Historical Facts
- 3 Resources
- 3.1 Cemeteries
- 3.2 Census
- 3.3 Church Records
- 3.4 Court Records
- 3.5 Directories
- 3.6 Gazetteers
- 3.7 Genealogy
- 3.8 Local History
- 3.9 Land and Property
- 3.10 Maps
- 3.11 Military
- 3.12 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 3.13 Newspapers
- 3.14 Obituaries
- 3.15 Periodicals
- 3.16 Probate Records
- 3.17 Public Records
- 3.18 Repositories
- 3.19 Taxation
- 3.20 Vital Records
- 4 Places
- 5 Web Sites
- 6 References
County Courthouse[edit | edit source]
County Clerk has marriage, land and some death records 1889;
District Court has divoce and court records. County Court has probate records.
Historical Facts[edit | edit source]
|Beginning dates for major county records|
|*For earlier dates, try... Church | Obituaries | Cemeteries|
County Seat[edit | edit source]
Parent County[edit | edit source]
1889 April 11 Prowers County was created from Bent County.
Neighboring Counties[edit | edit source]
Record Loss[edit | edit source]
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Cemeteries[edit | edit source]
- Compilation of cemetery records including index from four cemeteries near Lamar, Prowers, Colorado FHL Collection
Sources for Prowers County Cemeteries[edit | edit source]
- Find-a-Grave.com, Prowers County Cemeteries
- USGenWeb Colorado Tombstone Transcription Project for Prowers County. Many or perhaps most of the gravestone photos associated with this site are copyrighted by the photographer. They may not be used for another site (like Ancestry.com, for example) without the permission of the photographer. Additionally, several of the links to cemeteries associated with this page are broken (update 1/2014).
Cemeteries in or near the town of Lamar
- Riverside Cemetery
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Colorado Cemeteries for more information.|
Census[edit | edit source]
For tips on accessing Prowers County, Colorado Genealogy census records online, see: Colorado Census.
- 1860-1940 Colorado Census Records from 1860 to 1940 at FamilySearch.org — index/images
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Court Records[edit | edit source]
Numerous records are available at Colorado Archives. To use this link scroll down the page to where it asks for Record Type. Click there and scroll down the list to the records you want and select. The next field asks for county. Select the county you want and then click on Search. You can narrow the search by adding the additional information it asks for.
Directories[edit | edit source]
- Bent and Prowers Counties (Colorado) directories FHL Collection
- Polk's Lamar (Prowers County, Colorado) city directory: including Prowers County residents and ranchers FHL Collection
Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Genealogy[edit | edit source]
Local History[edit | edit source]
- Prowers County history FHL Collection
Land and Property[edit | edit source]
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Colorado Land and Property for additional information about early Colorado land grants.
After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where current records are also housed.
- The homestead years: Prowers County, Colorado FHL Collection
Maps[edit | edit source]
- 1889 Prowers County, Colorado land ownership map, 1889 FHL Collection
Military[edit | edit source]
Naturalization and Citizenship[edit | edit source]
Newspapers[edit | edit source]
Obituaries[edit | edit source]
Periodicals[edit | edit source]
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Probate records have been kept by the county courts. Colorado probate records include bonds, affidavits, letters, claims, appraisals, fee accounts, minutes, judgments, dockets, calendars, case files, and wills. The Family History Library does not have copies of probate records from Colorado.
You may obtain copies of documents from the clerk's office in the county courthouse.
Public Records[edit | edit source]
School Records[edit | edit source]
1942-1945 Colorado State Archives Index to the Prowers County Amache School Teachers and Personnel for the period 1942-1945. This is an Index to the records of the teachers who were approved and hired at the Center.
Repositories[edit | edit source]
Archives[edit | edit source]
- Inventory of the county archives of Colorado, no. 50, Prowers County (Lamar) FHL Collection
The Colorado State Archives has the following records available for Prowers County, Colorado Genealogy in this online database Archives Search. For a full list of online holdings, click here.
1880-1939 Divorce Index
1883-1900 Mine Accidents, Non - fatal
1936-1942 Civilian Conservation Corps Enrollments
1966-1968 Vietnam Deaths
1933-1936 Prowers County Old Age Pensions
Family History Centers[edit | edit source]
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
Libraries[edit | edit source]
- Holly Public Library
302 South Main Street
Holly, CO 81047
Holly Public Library website
- Lamar Public Library
102 East Parmenter St
Lamar, CO 81052
Lamar Public Library website
Museums[edit | edit source]
- Big Timbers Museum
Prowers County Historical Society
7515 U.S. Hwy 50
P. O. Box 929
Lamar, CO 81052
Big Timbers Museum website
Societies[edit | edit source]
Prowers County Genealogical Society
407 E. Olive Street
Lamar, CO 81052
Hours: Tuesday - Friday 9:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m
Taxation[edit | edit source]
Colorado tax records complement land records and can be used as supplements to censuses. There may be gaps of several years in the records. To find tax records in the FamilySearch Catalog, do a Place Search for the county.
Vital Records[edit | edit source]
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Vital Records Section Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred.
For some online statewide indexes, see the FamilySearch Historical Record Collections for Colorado.
Birth[edit | edit source]
Birth records may become public records when 100 years have elapsed after the date of birth. EXCEPTION: The birth record of any individual who is known to be currently alive will remain confidential even if they are 100 years of age or greater. 
Marriage[edit | edit source]
- 1853-2006 Colorado Statewide Marriage Index, 1853-2006 at FamilySearch.org — index/images
- 1859-1900 Colorado Marriages, 1859-1900 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1864-1995 Colorado, County Marriages, 1864-1995 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1900-1939 Colorado, Statewide Marriage Index, 1900-1939 at Ancestry.com — index $
Death[edit | edit source]
Death records may become public records when 75 years have elapsed after the date of death. 
Divorce[edit | edit source]
Places[edit | edit source]
Web Sites[edit | edit source]
- Prowers County CO Trails to the Past
- USGenWeb Archives
- USGenWeb Archives (backup site)
- FamilySearch Catalog
References[edit | edit source]
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Prowers County, Colorado. Page 100 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Red Book, American State, County, and Town Sources. Edited by Alice Eichholz. (Ancestry, Provo; 3d ed, 2004.) Colorado article by Birdie Monk Holzclaw and Marsha Hoffman Rising. page 93.
- WorldCat 50140092 ▲ FHL Collection Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed.] (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002)
- Letter from Colorado State Registrar, Dated September 1, 2011. Policy Number 2011- 08. http://www.colorado.gov