Portugal Compiled Genealogies
|Brazil Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
The term genealogy is used in this Wiki article and in the FamilySearch Catalog to describe a variety of records containing family information gathered by individuals, other researchers, societies, or archives.
These can be excellent sources of information that can save you valuable time. Because they are compiled from other sources of information, they must be carefully evaluated and verified for accuracy.
If you find your family's surname in any of the sources described in this section, determine whether the entry actually pertains to your family. All persons with the same surname are not necessarily related. Often you will have to do some original research before you can connect your ancestry to families listed in these sources. See also Brazil Societies.
Additional sources of genealogy for noble families in Brazil are described in Brazil Nobility.
Online Genealogies[edit | edit source]
The following databases have online family trees, pedigree charts, and family group records:
Ancestral File contains family history information linked in family groups and pedigrees that has been contributed since 1979. As of 1996 the file contains the names of millions of persons, including many from Brazilian families. Ancestral File can print pedigree charts, family group records, and individual summary sheets for any person in the file.
Brazil Genealogy Web Project links to smaller online databases and other Portuguese researchers. The website is in Portuguese.
Brazilian-German Family Trees gives genealogical data for select Germans who immigrated to Brazil.
Family Group Records Collection contains more than eight million family group record forms, including many Brazilian families. There are two major sections: the "Archive Section" and the "Patrons Section."
Family History Pages provides links to online family history websites by surname. The website is in Portuguese.
FamilySearch Family Tree is a free family tree, compiled by all users of FamilySearch. Many of the profiles in the trees have attached sources.
GEDCOM Brazilian Name Index organized by district.
International Genealogical Index provides names and vital information for many deceased persons who lived in Brazil. This valuable research tool lists birth, christening, or marriage dates. The index for Brazil includes names extracted from parish registers by volunteers and names submitted by other researchers.
Genealogies at the Family History Library[edit | edit source]
The Family History Library has some published Brazilian family histories. Copies at the Family History Library are listed in the "Surname Search" section of the FamilySearch Catalog. Others are listed in the "Title" section under FAMILY GROUP RECORDS COLLECTION. Not every name found in a family history will be listed in the FamilySearch Catalog; only the major surnames discussed in the family history are included in the catalog.
Brazilian genealogies at the Family History Library include:
- Anuário Genealógico Brasileiro (Genealogical Brazilian Yearbook). 10 vols. São Paulo: Instituto Genealógico Brasileiro. FHL 981 D2a FHL 0823687-FHL 0823690. This publication is continued by Anuário Genealógico Latino.
- Anuário Genealógico Latino (Latin Genealogical Yearbook). 10 vols. São Paulo: Instituto Genealógico Brasileiro. FHL 981 D2g, FHL 0547087 item 5, FHL 0823753-FHL 0823755, FHL 1224501, FHL 1410967 item 5. This publication is a continuation of the publication cited above.
- Moya, Salvador de. Catálogo de Autores Genealógicos (Catalog of Genealogical Authors). São Paulo: Departamento de Cultura, 1937. FHL 981 A1 no. 15.
- Moya, Salvador de. Índices Genealógicos Brasileiros (Indexes of Brazilian Genealogies). 10 vols. São Paulo: Instituto Genealógico Brasileiro. FHL 981 D22m, FHL 0823691, FHL 0823693, FHL 1224508. This book indexes various genealogical Brazilian works.
- Rezende, Oswaldo. Genealogia de Tradicionais Famílias de Minas (Genealogy of Traditional Families of Minas). São Paulo: Empresa Gráfica da Revista dos Tribunais, 1969. FHL 981.51 D2r.
- Rheingantz, Carlos G. Primeiras Famílias do Rio de Janeiro (First Families of Rio de Janeiro). Rio de Janeiro: Livraria Brasiliana Editora, 1965. FHL 981.53/R1 D2r.
- Sant’Ana, João Gabriel. Genealogia Sebastianense (Genealogy of [People from] São Sebastião). São Paulo: s.n., 1976. FHL 981.61 D2s. This book includes genealogical data for families of several cities in the state of São Paulo from 1532 to 1975.
- Silva Leme, Luíz Gonzaga da. Genealogia Paulistana (Genealogy of [People from] São Paulo). 9 vols. São Paulo: Duprat, 1903–1905. FHL 981.61 D2g, FHL 0823694-FHL 0823697.
Unpublished family histories are sometimes held by private individuals in Brazil. These pertain mostly to descendants of prominent families and Brazilian nobility. These individuals may have collected a variety of unpublished records pertaining to their own families. Such materials are generally inaccessible for research unless you can establish contact with the appropriate individuals.