New York For Further Reading
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Revision as of 12:15, 11 May 2016 by Hanna5974 (Text replacement - "sidebar}}''" to "sidebar}}<br>''")
|New York Wiki Topics|
|New York Background|
|Local Research Resources|
Sources of information about research and records in New York not already mentioned are:
- Austin, John D, Jr. Genealogical Research in New York State: An Informal Finding List of Published Materials with Supplementary Notes. Glens Fall, N.Y.: the author, 1983. FHL Book 974.7 D23a; fiche 6051316. Includes maps, vital records, census, estates, land, immigration, cemeteries, and many other categories.
- Bailey, Rosalie Fellows. Guide to Genealogical and Biographical Sources for New York City (Manhattan), 1783–1898. New York: R.F. Bailey, 1954. FHL Book 974.71 D27b; Fiche 6051128. Available online through FamilySearch Catalog link. Discussion and bibliographies on citywide probates, vital records, land, church records, and many others.
- Burke, Kate. Searching in New York: A Reference Guide to Public and Private Records. Costa Mesa, Calif.: ISC Publications, 1987. FHL Book 974.7 D27b. Useful for adoption research. List of counties, towns, county seats, institutions, cemeteries.
- Eichholz, Alice, ed. Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources. 3rd ed. Provo, Utah: Ancestry, 2004. Free online version; FHL Book 973 D27rb 2004; WorldCat entry. Contains bibliographies and background information on history and ethnic groups. Also contains maps and tables showing when each county was created.
- Epperson, Gwenn F. New Netherland Roots. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1994. FHL Book 974.7 D27e. Discusses and quotes examples from passenger lists, early government records, marriage registers, church records, and court records of New Netherland. Also discusses early Dutch, German, Belgian, French, and Scandinavian sources.
- Guzik, Estele M., ed. Genealogical Resources in the New York Metropolitan Area. New York: Jewish Genealogical Society, 1989. (FHL book Ref 974.1 A3ge; FHL fiche 6100654.)
- Kronman, Barbara. The Guide to New York City Public Records, 4th ed. New York: Public Interest Clearinghouse, 1992. FHL Book 974.71 A3k. Includes chapters on city government, courts, libraries, and personal information. Shows how to obtain vital records, name change records, and naturalizations.
- Kurzweil, Arthur, and Miriam Weiner. Encyclopedia of Jewish Genealogy: Sources in the United States and Canada. Northvale, N.J.: Jason Aronson, 1991. FHL Book 929.1 En19e. Forty pages about New York area repositories and bibliographies of their key resources.
- Remington, Gordon L. New York Towns, Villages, and Cities: A Guide to Genealogical Sources. Boston: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2002. NEHGS online edition; At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 974.7 D27r. Alphabetical list including date founded, if a town history exists, church and cemetery sources, and if a Civil War register (TCR) exists.
- Schweitzer, George Keene. New York Genealogical Research. Knoxville, Tenn.: G. Schweitzer, 1988. FHL Book 974.7 D27s. Gives historical background and describes all types of records. Includes bibliography of each record type.
- Seversmith, Herbert F., and Kenn Stryker-Rodda. Long Island Genealogical Source Material: A Bibliography. National Genealogical Society Special Publication 24. Washington, D.C.: National Genealogical Society, 1962. Second printing, 1980. FHL Book 974.721 A3s. Includes place and record index.
To access available information, first log into FamilySearch.