Guide to Munsee Tribe ancestry, family history and genealogy: birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, parish registers, and other agency records.
See also: Stockbridge Munsee
To get started in American Indian Research
Also known as Christian Indians
Additional References to the History of the TribeEdit
Frederick Webb Hodge, in hisHandbook of American Indians North of Mexico, gave a more complete history of the Munsee tribe, with estimations of the population of the tribe at various time periods. Additional details are given in John Swanton's The Indian Tribes of North America.
The majority of records of individuals were those created by the agencies. Some records may be available to tribal members through the tribal headquarters.They were (and are) the local office of the Bureau of Indian Affairs, and were charged with maintaining records of the activities of those under their responsibility. Among these records are:
- Allotment records
- Annuity rolls
- Census records
- Health records
- School census and records
- Vital records
A roll of Munsee Indians was taken on 3 September 1839 and is available online.
The names of the Stockbridge Indians who signed the Treaty of 5 February 1856, separating themselves from the Stockbridge Tribe and allying themselves with the Munsee tribe, is also available online.
Records for Superintendencies exist in the National Archives and copies of many of them are also available in other research facilities.
Correspondence and CensusEdit
|Tribe||Agency||Location of Original Records||
M234 RG 75 Rolls 962
M595 RG 75 Rolls 693
|Munsee||Potawatomi Agency, 1851-1902||Washington D.C. and Fort Worth||Rolls 678-95||-||Rolls 392||FHL Films 580771-580774|
|Munsee, East||Green Bay and Menoninee, 1865-1902||Chicago||Rolls 325-36||-||-||FHL Films 576861-576863|
|Munsee, Kansas||Ft. Leavenworth Agency, 1839-51||Washington D.C.||Rolls 301-03||-||-||-|
|Munsee, Kansas||Kansas Agency, 1851-55||Washington D.C.||Roll 364||-||-||-|
|Munsee, Kansas||Delaware Agency, 1855-59||Washington D.C.||Rolls 274-75||-||-||-|
|Munsee, Kansas||Sac and Fox Agency, 1859-69||Washington D.C.||Rolls 734-38||-||-||FHL Films 581444-581449|
|Munsee, Kansas||Ottawa Agency, 1863-64||Washington D.C.||Roll 656||-||-||-|
|Munsee, Kansas||Pottawatomi Agency, ca. 1876-80||Washington D.C.||Rolls 692-95||-||-||-FHL Films 580771-580774|
- 1794 December 2, at Oneida
- 1805 With the Wyandot, Etc.
- 1832 October 27, at Green Bay,
- 1838 January 15, at Buffalo Creek, with the New York Indians
- 1839 September 3, with the Stockbridge and Munsee
- 1848 November 24, at Stockbridge
- May 6, 1854, Munsee - Christian Delaware
- 1856 February 5, with the Stockbridge and Munsee
- 1859 With the Chippewa, Etc.,
- Lots entered by Individuals of the Stockbridge and Munsee Tribe of Indians in conformity to Article 3d. Treaty of February 5th, 1856. The Journal of American Indian Research.Ed. Larry S. Watson. Vol. 11 No. 2 1990 pages 19-24 FHL 970.1 J825j
- Potawatomi 1918-1935 FHL film: 580774
- Sac and Fox, Iowa, 1924-1932 FHL film: 581446
Important Web SitesEdit
- Guide to Federal Records in the National Archives; Record Group 75, Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs.
- Hodge, Frederick Webb. Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution, 1906 Available online.
- Klein, Barry T., ed. Reference Encyclopedia of the American Indian. Nyack, New York: Todd Publications, 2009. 10th ed. WorldCat 317923332; FHL book 970.1 R259e.
- Malinowski, Sharon and Sheets, Anna, eds. The Gale Encyclopedia of Native American Tribes. Detroit: Gale Publishing, 1998. 4 volumes. Includes: Lists of Federally Recognized Tribes for U.S., Alaska, and Canada – pp. 513-529 Alphabetical Listing of Tribes, with reference to volume and page in this series Map of “Historic Locations of U.S. Native Groups” Map of “Historic Locations of Canadian Native Groups” Map of “Historic Locations of Mexican, Hawaiian and Caribbean Native Groups” Maps of “State and Federally Recognized U.S. Indian Reservations. WorldCat 37475188; FHL book 970.1 G131g.
- Vol. 1 -- Northeast, Southeast, Caribbean
- Vol. 2 -- Great Basin, Southwest, Middle America
- Vol. 3 -- Arctic, Subarctic, Great Plains, Plateau
- Vol. 4 -- California, Pacific Northwest, Pacific Islands
- Sturtevant, William C. Handbook of North American Indians. 20 vols., some not yet published. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution, 1978– .
- Volume 1 -- Not yet published
- Volume 2 -- Indians in Contemporary Society (pub. 2008) -- WorldCat 234303751
- Volume 3 -- Environment, Origins, and Population (pub. 2006) -- WorldCat 255572371
- Volume 4 -- History of Indian-White Relations (pub. 1988) -- WorldCat 19331914; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.4.
- Volume 5 -- Arctic (pub. 1984) -- WorldCat 299653808; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.5.
- Volume 6 -- Subarctic (pub. 1981) -- WorldCat 247493742; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.6.
- Volume 7 -- Northwest Coast (pub. 1990) -- WorldCat 247493311
- Volume 8 -- California (pub. 1978) -- WorldCat 13240086; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.8.
- Volume 9 -- Southwest (pub. 1979) -- WorldCat 26140053; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.9.
- Volume 10 -- Southwest (pub. 1983) -- WorldCat 301504096; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.10.
- Volume 11 -- Great Basin (pub. 1986) -- WorldCat 256516416; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.11.
- Volume 12 -- Plateau (pub. 1998) -- WorldCat 39401371; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.12.
- Volume 13 -- Plains, 2 vols. (pub. 2001) -- WorldCat 48209643
- Volume 14 -- Southeast (pub. 2004) -- WorldCat 254277176
- Volume 15 -- Northwest (pub. 1978) -- WorldCat 356517503; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.15.
- Volume 16 -- Not yet published
- Volume 17 -- Languages (pub. 1996) -- WorldCat 43957746
- Volume 18 -- Not yet published
- Volume 19 -- Not yet published
- Volume 20 -- Not yet published