|Montgomeryshire Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Family history societies often publish helpful journals, transcripts, compiled genealogies and host helpful websites. They may have ongoing projects to transcribe records and create indexes. Most societies publish queries in their journals and maintain lists of members’ research interests that may be helpful to you. You may want to join one of these societies, reap the benefits of their expertise and resources, or support its efforts.
Addresses of the societies are for the most part where their meetings are held as they are by-and-large not brick-and-mortar institutions.
Montgomeryshire Genealogical Society (Cymdeithas Achyddol Maldwyn)
Newtown, Powys SY16 3PL UK
Telephone: 01686 627916
Website: Montgomeryshire Genealogical Society
- The Montgomeryshire Genealogical Society was founded to provide a forum for people with family history interests in the historical county of Montgomeryshire and its borders. Its main aim is to help members trace their Montgomeryshire family histories. It also helps members with family connections in Shropshire, Cardiganshire, Denbighshire, Merionethshire, and Radnorshire.
Powys Family History Society
Brecon, Powys UK
United Reform Church Schoolroom
New Church Street
Newtown, Powys SY16 1RB UK
Llanddewi Ystradenny Village Hall
Llandrindod Wells, Powys LD1 6SE UK
- The Society's mission is to enable to all those interested in family and local history of Powys, the ability to research, publicise, and publish information relating to the families and communities in the geographical areas of Breconshire, Montgomeryshire, and Radnorshire. The society aims to encourage the study of family history and the transcription and preservation of records and information which would otherwise be lost.
- The Society's objectives are to promote and encourage the study of the history of the cantref of Arwystli to arrange public lectures and excursions to places of interest in accordance with the aims of the society and to sponsor the publication of a comprehensive history of the cantref of Arwystli.
Llanfair Caereinion & District Historical Society
Welshpool, Powys SY21 0RY UK
Telephone: 01938 811031
Website: Llanfair Caereinion & District Historical Society
- Historical Society with lectures, field trips, and oral history.
- The purpose of the Llanfechain History Society is to collate, research, and maintain a history of Llanfechain. Our hope is that this endeavour will be of interest and will engage many in the village, and be of value to those who live here in the future.
Meifod Local History Group
Telephone: 01686 668773
- The Newtown Local History Group members have been and will continue to research and preserve our cultural heritage for future generations to come.
- The Powysland Club is the historical society for the beautiful county of Montgomeryshire and was founded in 1867. The club supports an active programme of public lectures and excursions, publishes its own annual journal, and maintains a library in Welshpool. The club’s headquarters are in Welshpool but our remit covers the whole county from Llanrhaeadr-ym-Mochnant and Llansilin in the north to Newtown and Llanidloes in the south and Machynlleth in the west.
- We arrange speakers to talk to us on relevant topics. We arrange & record walks around township boundaries. We visit & record buildings which are being altered. We collect local information, photos, etc. for the future.
- The Society's objectives are to inform, educate, and research the history of the town, using the resources available to us as well as the memories of local people, as well as dismissing myths!