Montgomeryshire, Wales Genealogy
|Montgomeryshire Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Guide to Montgomeryshire County, Wales ancestry, family history and genealogy: birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, parish registers, and military records.
Historic Montgomeryshire[edit | edit source]
Montgomeryshire (Welsh: Sir Drefaldwyn or Maldwyn) was one of thirteen historic counties of Wales. The county is bounded to the north by Denbighshire, to the east and south-east by Shropshire (England), to the south by Radnorshire, to the south-west by Cardiganshire and to the west and north-west by Merionethshire.
It took its name from Roger de Montgomerie, 1st Earl of Shrewsbury, one of William the Conqueror's main counsellors,
The county was formed shortly after the Act of Union of 1535 of Wales and England. The borders of Montgomeryshire corresponded roughly to the medieval kingdom of Powys Wenwynwyn and its cantrefi (hundreds) included Cyfeiliog; Arwystli; Mawddwy; Mochnant; Deuddwy; Ystrad Marchell and Gorddwr, and also included the Lordships of Cydewain and Mechain.
Chapman Code: MGY
1974-1996 Powys[edit | edit source]
Under the Local Government Act 1972, the county of Montgomeryshire was abolished, for both local government and ceremonial purposes, on April 1, 1974. All of the former county of Montgomeryshire became part of the newly formed county of Powys which covered the whole of east-central Wales.
Modern Powys[edit | edit source]
Although further local government reorganisation took place in 1996, this had little effect on the county of Powys
Parishes[edit | edit source]
- See a list of the parishes in Montogomeryshire with links to their pages.
- Interactive map of Montgomeryshire Parishes.
Hundreds[edit | edit source]
Online Records[edit | edit source]
- 1542-1911 - Wales Court and Miscellaneous Records, 1542-1911 at FamilySearch — images
- 1650-1900 - Wales, Marriage Bonds, 1650-1900 at FamilySearch — index
- 1678-2001 - Wales, Parish Registers, 1678-2001 at FamilySearch — index
- 1930 - England and Wales National Register, 1939 at FamilySearch — index
Topics[edit | edit source]
Research tools[edit | edit source]
- The North Wales BMD. A searchable index of births marriages and deaths within the county of Montgomeryshire from 1837 to around 1950.
- Montgomeryshire Church records databases at FamilySearch
- Montgomeryshire Nonconformist Records
- Montgomeryshire Resources and Help pages RootsChat Montgomeryshire Resources and Help pages. (Free).