Mexico Baptisms - FamilySearch Historical Records/Known Issues
| This article lists issues previously reported for this collection and
may provide solutions or workarounds to those issues.
Notes[edit | edit source]
NOTE: To determine which digital records are likely to be found within a collection or to find missing images, see, How do I use the catalog to learn more about the collections in Historical Records?
NOTE: To view films, see Where do I find a family history center?.
NOTE: Many of the indexed records have corresponding images in the Mexico state Catholic Church or Civil Registration browse collections. The information from the record detail pages, such as christening date, christening place, parent’s names, and film number are useful search criteria. Search the Catalog using the Film Number to find records that are available online.
Known Issues[edit | edit source]
Question 1[edit | edit source]
Question 1: I am having trouble searching for baptismal records even when I know my ancestor’s name. Do you have any suggestions?
Answer 1: Try entering different combinations of the name in both the First Names and Last Names fields. For example, if you cannot find Jose Domingo using both fields, enter the entire name in the First Names field only. Prior to 1800, people were not identified by surnames as used currently. In addition, indexing errors may have attributed to searching problems.
Question 2[edit | edit source]
Question 2: Some indexed records have christening place or date errors, as well as film number errors. How can I determine the correct information?
Answer 2: View the document to verify the correct information. The christening place and date can also be checked by searching the Catalog using the film number included in the record detail page. See Finding microfilm numbers in the catalog (55632). A list of known problems below provides correct indexing information:
- Records detail pages with an incorrect Film number: 227924 of Bautismos 1880-1882 are actually deaths, and included in the Mexico Deaths collection.
- Film Number 220678 associated with Batch I06400-9 contains Baptisms 1892-1895. Indexed marriage records were created from the priest’s annotations about marriage information written in the sidebar of an individual’s baptismal record. Although the batch contains both marriage and baptism records, only Film 220678 was used to create both sets of indexed records.
- The correct Christening Place for indexed records associated with Film 1563160 is Santa Ana, Nazas, Durango, Mexico. The affected batches include: I04606-5, I04606-8, I04607-1 and I04607-3.
- The correct Film Number for Batch C60923-8 is Film 162665.
- The correct Christening Place for Batch I05614-5 is Santa María de los Reyes, Huatlatlauca, Puebla, Mexico.
- The correct Christening Place for Film 605505 and Batches I07040-0 through I07040-3 is Santa Rosa de Lima, Melchor Múzquiz, Coahuila, Mexico.
- The correct Christening Place for Film 1645714 and Batches I04019-6 through I04019-9 is Gómez Palacio, Durango, Mexico. To determine the specific church, please view the records in the collection browse path Mexico, Durango, Catholic Church Records, 1604-1985 > Sacramento > Sacramento > Bautismos 1897-1900, 1907-1909.
- The correct Film Number and Christening Place for Batch C64436-1 is Film Number 1223081 and Christening Place: Atemajac de Brizuela, Jalisco, Mexico.
- Batch: I05425-3, Film: 611007, and Christening Place: Sagrario Metropolitano, Oaxaca de Juárez, Oaxaca, Mexico contains 552 records dated from 1876-1877 that are incorrectly indexed. These records are correctly duplicated in Batch I05340-9, Film: 227605, and Christening Place: Sagrario Metropolitano, Puebla de Zaragoza, Puebla, Mexico.
- Batch I05341-1 contains 68 incorrectly indexed records dated 1885 (22 Aug – 8 Sep) that are actually 1878 records.