|Malawi Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
How to Find the RecordsEdit
Offices to ContactEdit
National Registration Bureau
Ministry of Home Affairs and Internal Security
Private Bag B318
Capital City, Lilongwe 3, Malawi
Note: There is a separate category for the Indian population that covers the years 1858 to 1921.
Time period: 1904 to present
Place of registration of births and deaths might be mayor’s office, other district or local authority, hospital/health centre, village or commune elder, head or administrator, place of the birth or death. Place of registration of marriages might be district registration office, place of the marriage.
Coverage and ComplianceEdit
Population coverage: 95% of White population, 100% of Asian, 95% of Colored, and 0 to 5% of African
Information Recorded in the RecordsEdit
- Identification number
- Date and place of birth
- Parents residence, marriage place, names and race, dates and places of birth
- Name, capacity, and residence of informant.
- Identification number of bride and groom
- Date and place of marriage
- Birth date and place
- Marital status
- Banns or notice of intention
- Iidentification number
- Date and place of death
- Age at death
- Birth date
- Marital status
- Cause of death
- Birth place
- Intended place of burial
- Name of parents (if deceased under the age of ten)
- Place of mother’s residence (if child deceased under the age of one year)
- Name, address, and capacity of informant
For additional information about births, marriages, and deaths, see the Unicef Data for Malawi.
- The Family History Department of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, “Family History Record Profile: Southern Africa,” Word document, private files of the FamilySearch Content Strategy Team, 1987-1998.
- UNICEF Data: Monitoring the situation of children and women, UNICEF Data for Malawi. Information on civil registration systems was compiled over a period from December 2016 to November 2017 using the existing relevant legal frameworks and in consultation with CRVS experts, officials within the relevant national institutions, and UNICEF country offices. All reasonable precautions have been taken by UNICEF to verify this country profile; updates will be made to reflect changes in policy and implementation and/or new information.