Lambton County, Ontario Genealogy
History[edit | edit source]
Parent County[edit | edit source]
Lambton started as par to the District of Hesse which was later included with Kent county and in 1849 the districts were abolished and the County of Lambton was formed. At first Lambton and Kent shared the capital city of Sandwich later renamed Windsor, this was ended in 1852.
Neighboring Counties[edit | edit source]
Lambton County is in Southwestern Ontario. It is bordered on the north by Lake Huron, Middlesex County is on the eastern border, while Chatham-Kent County is to the South. Lambton County is bordered by the United States - County of Michigan.
|Ontario Research Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
- 1 History
- 2 Civil Registration
- 3 Census Records
- 4 Church Records
- 5 Cemetery Records
- 6 Web Sites
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth[edit | edit source]
- 1869 - 1911 Ontario Births, 1869-1911 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1858 - 1913 - Ontario, Canada Births, 1858-1913 at Ancestry.com--index and images. ($)
- 1869 - 1912 - Ontario Births, 1869-1912 at --index. ($)
Marriage[edit | edit source]
- 1801-1858 - Ontario, District Marriage Registers, 1801-1858 at FamilySearch — index and images.
- 1801-1928, 1933-1934 - Ontario, Canada, Marriages, 1801-1928, 1933-1934 at Ancestry.com--index and images. ($)
- 1858-1869 - Ontario, County Marriage Registers, 1858-1869 at FamilySearch — index and images.
Death[edit | edit source]
- 1869-1937, and some 1939-1947 - Ontario Deaths, 1869-1937 and Overseas Deaths, 1939-1947 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1869-1938, 1943-1944, and some 1939-1947 - Ontario, Canada, Deaths, 1869-1938, 1943-1944, and Deaths Overseas, 1939-1947 at Ancestry.com--index and images. ($)
Writing for a More Recent Birth, Marriage, or Death Record[edit | edit source]
- ServiceOntario, Birth Records is the only government-authorized source for obtaining birth certificates. Go to the section entitled "Order a Birth Search". This is the most economical, searches the widest time period, and allows searches for people not immediately related. A letter of information is provided rather than a certificate.
- ServiceOntario, Marriage Records offers a marriage search option and a historical certificate option.
- ServiceOntario, Death Records offers a death search option and a historical certificate option. Also official death certificates are available to a wider range of relatives than birth and marriage certificates.
FamilySearch Library Microfilmed Records[edit | edit source]
Some of the church/civil records have been microfilmed by FamilySearch.These microfilms may be ordered for viewing at Family History Centers around the world. To find a microfilm:
- a. Click on records for Canada, Ontario, Lambton County. You will see a list of available records for the county.
- b. You will also see above the list the link Places within Canada, Ontario, Lambton County. This will take you to a list of towns in the counties, which are links to records for the specific town.
- c. Click on any topic. Click on the blue links to specific record titles.
- d. Some combination of these icons will appear at the far right of the microfilm listed for the record. . The magnifying glass indicates that the microfilm is indexed. Clicking on the magnifying glass will take you to the index. Clicking on the camera will take you to an online digital copy of the microfilm. Clicking on the microfilm reel will lead to information on how to rent the film. Family History Center staff will assist you in ordering the film.
Census Records[edit | edit source]