Kentucky For Further Reading
|Kentucky Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Several handbooks are available that give additional information about research, records, and record-finding aids in Kentucky. Among these are:
- Hogan, Roseann Reinemuth. Kentucky Ancestry: A Guide to Genealogical and Historical Research. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992. (FHL 976.9 A3ho) This source contains information on court, vital, land, and tax records and the early settlement of Kentucky. It lists the names and addresses of each county’s archives or library, with their addresses, and a list of their microfilmed records.
- Schweitzer, George K. Kentucky Genealogical Research. [N.p.], 1981. (FHL 976.9 D27s) This book lists counties, record types, and addresses of county courthouses, libraries, societies.
- Hathaway, Beverly W. Inventory of County Records of Kentucky. Salt Lake City: Accelerated Indexing Systems, 1974. (FHL 976.9 A3hba) These inventories are listed by county and then by the name of the library or archive. It indicates the types of records available and the years they cover.
- Hathaway, Beverly W. Kentucky Genealogical Research Sources. [N.p.], 1974. FHL 976.9 A3hb; FHL 928177 item 5; FHL 6054104) This source contains a history of the state and maps showing the development of Kentucky and migration trails. It lists types of records and the years available, as well as the addresses of libraries and museums.
For those wishing to understand more about the lives of their Kentucky ancestors, the Kentuckiana Digital Library houses digital copies of hundreds of old books about the life and time and environment where your ancestors lived.
Additional sources are found in the For Further Reading page of the United States Research Wiki article, and the Locality Search of the FamilySearch Catalog under:
- KENTUCKY- GENEALOGY- HANDBOOKS, MANUALS, ETC
To access available information, first log into FamilySearch.