Kenosha County, Wisconsin Genealogy
Guide to Kenosha County Wisconsin ancestry, family history, and genealogy research page. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Kenosha County, Wisconsin|
Location of Wisconsin in the U.S.
|Founded||January 30, 1850|
Kenosha County Courthouse
1010 56th Street
Kenosha, WI 53140;
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 Historical Facts
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 Bible Records
- 5.2 Biography
- 5.3 Cemeteries
- 5.4 Census
- 5.5 Church History and Records
- 5.6 Court Records
- 5.7 Crime and Criminals
- 5.8 Directories
- 5.9 Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
- 5.10 Gazetteers
- 5.11 Genealogy
- 5.12 History
- 5.13 Land and Property
- 5.14 Maps
- 5.15 Migration
- 5.16 Military History and Records
- 5.17 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 5.18 Newspapers
- 5.19 Obituaries
- 5.20 Periodicals
- 5.21 Probate Records
- 5.22 Repositories
- 5.23 Societies
- 5.24 Taxation
- 5.25 Vital Records
- 5.26 Voting Registers
- 6 Websites
- 7 References
Kenosha County, Wisconsin Record DatesEdit
Kenosha County Courthouse
1010 56th Street
Kenosha, WI 53140;
- The city of Kenosha and Kenosha County, Wisconsin : a record of settlement, organization, porgress, and achievement Viewable
For animated maps illustrating Wisconsin County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Wisconsin County Boundary Maps" (1790-1961) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Places / LocalitiesEdit
- Miscellaneous Kenosha County Biographies USGenWeb Archives
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Wisconsin Cemeteries for more information.|
- Kenosha County Tombstone Photograph Pages USGenWeb Archives
- 1855 - 1855 Wisconsin State Census This census includes name of head of family; other individuals in the household are identified by sex and race, number of deaf and dumb, blind, insane and foreign born.
- 1865 - 1865 Wisconsin State Census Name index and images of the 1865 State Census which names the head of household. Most records have been destroyed but schedules exist for the following counties: Dunn, Green, Jackson, Kewaunee, Ozaukee, and Sheboygan.
- 1875 - 1875 Wisconsin State Census Identifies head of household by name.
- 1885 - Wisconsin State Census, 1885 at FamilySearch — index and images. Search indexed census. Identifies by name of head of household. Other information is statistical and identifies the rest of the household by race, gender and country of birth.
- 1895 - Wisconsin State Census, 1895 at FamilySearch — index and images. Identifies head of household by name. Other information is statistical.
- 1905 - Wisconsin State Census, 1905 at FamilySearch — Name index and images of population. Enumerates by name all inhabitants.
- 1920 - 1920 Federal Census, Juneau County USGenWeb Archives
- 1930 - 1930 Federal Census, Juneau County USGenWeb Archives
Church History and RecordsEdit
- Kenosha County Churches and Temples WIGenWeb project
- Records of the American Lutheran Church, Salem, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Crime and CriminalsEdit
Ethnic, Political, or Religious GroupsEdit
- Kenosha County, WI Early History WIGenWeb Project
Land and PropertyEdit
- Wisconsin Land Patents Database, Kenosha County (USGenWeb Archives)
Military History and RecordsEdit
- Kenosha County Military Information Information about Kenosha County from the Revolutionary War to the Vietnam War. WIGenWeb Project
Civil War service men from Kenosha County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are many companies or regiments that were formed from men of Kenosha County.
- - 1st Regiment, Wisconsin Cavalry, Companies F and M
- - 2nd Regiment, Wisconsin Cavalry, Company G
- - 9th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry, Company C
- 1883 list ofPensioners or dependents, Kenosha Co., WI USGenWeb Archives
World War IEdit
- Kenosha County Army Casualties USGenWeb Archives
World War IIEdit
- Kenosha County Army Enlistees (USGenWeb Archives)
Naturalization and CitizenshipEdit
- Kenosha County Naturalization Records WIGenWeb Project
- 1800 – 1987 Wisconsin Wills and Probate Records 1800-1987 at Ancestry.com — images and index $
- 1848 – 1948 Wisconsin Probate Estate Files 1848-1948 at FamilySearch — images
Archives, Libraries and MuseumsEdit
Family History CentersEdit
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
Kenosha County Historical Society
Kenosha County Genealogical Society
Kenosha County Historical Society, Kenosha History Center
Western Kenosha Historical Society
Family History Center
- 1826 - 1926 Wisconsin, Births and Christenings, 1826-1926 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1820 - 1907 Wisconsin, Birth Index, 1820-1907 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1826 - 1908 Wisconsin, Births and Christenings Index, 1826-1908 at Ancestry.com — index $
- Kenosha County Birth Records WIGenWeb Project
- 1836 - 1930 Wisconsin, Marriages, 1836-1930 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1973 - 1997 Wisconsin, Marriage Index, 1973-1997 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1973 - 1997 Wisconsin Marriages, 1973-1997 at Ancestry.com — index/images $
- Kenosha County Marriages WIGenWeb Project
- 1867 - 1907 Wisconsin, Death Records, 1867-1907 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1835 - 1968 Wisconsin, Deaths and Burials, 1835-1968 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1820 - 1907 Wisconsin, Death Index, 1820-1907 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1959 - 1997 Wisconsin, Death Index, 1959-1997 at FamilySearch.org — index
- Kenosha County Death Index WIGenWeb Project
- Kenosha County, WI History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Wisconsin Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Wisconsin Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Kenosha County, WIGenWeb Project
- Kenosha County, USGenWeb Archives
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. page 757 Kenosha County, Wisconsin (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).