Jackson County, Oregon Genealogy
Guide to Jackson County, Oregon ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Jackson County, Oregon|
Location in the state of Oregon
Location of Oregon in the U.S.
|Founded||January 12, 1852|
|Address||Jackson County Courthouse|
10 S Oakdale Avenue
Medford, OR 97501
Jackson County Website
- 1 County Information
- 2 Jackson County, Oregon Record Dates
- 3 County Courthouse
- 4 Quick Facts
- 5 Places / Localities
- 6 Resources
- 6.1 Cemeteries
- 6.2 Church History and Records (rural area)
- 6.3 Census
- 6.4 Court Records
- 6.5 Gazetteers
- 6.6 History
- 6.7 Maps
- 6.8 Military History and Records
- 6.9 Newspapers
- 6.10 Probate Records
- 6.11 Rivers and Waterways
- 6.12 Taxation
- 6.13 Vital Records
- 7 Societies, Libraries and Museums
- 8 Websites
- 9 Jackson County Oregon Genealogy References
County Information[edit | edit source]
Description[edit | edit source]
The County was named for Andrew Jackson, the seventh president of the United States. The County is located in the southeast area of the state. 
Jackson County, Oregon Record Dates[edit | edit source]
County Courthouse[edit | edit source]
County Clerk has marriage records from 1853
and voter registration from 1952.
- Jacksonville was the former county seat prior to 1927.
- Records kept at the Courthouse: County Records Inventory listing the records held at the Jackson County Court House as of September 2001.
- Record Loss:
Quick Facts[edit | edit source]
Named for Andrew Jackson, seventh president of the United States.
Parent County[edit | edit source]
Boundary Changes[edit | edit source]
- Parts taken for:
22 December 1853: Coos County
11 January 1854: Wasco County
22 January 1856: Josephine County
24 October 1874: Lake County
For animated maps illustrating Oregon County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Oregon County Boundary Maps" (1843-1975) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
Record Loss[edit | edit source]
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Places / Localities[edit | edit source]
Populated Places[edit | edit source]
The following are locations in the county:
For a complete list of populated places, including small neighborhoods and suburbs, visit HomeTown Locator
Neighboring Counties[edit | edit source]
Trivia Tidbits[edit | edit source]
Information about localities, too small or too brief to describe in separate pages. Exception to this are Post Offices. > Trivia Tidbits
Resources[edit | edit source]
Cemeteries[edit | edit source]
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Oregon Cemeteries for more information.|
- Jackson County Genealogy Library maintains and updates a listing of burials and or deaths in Jackson County Oregon. As of February 2014, over 82,000 names are listed. All Jackson County cemeteries are listed with links to Google maps to help users locate individual cemeteries. Each entry in the database includes the following information: name of the deceased, year of death, year of birth, cemetery if buried in Jackson County, a code designating the source of our information,e.g., o for obituary, and a headstone photo. Additional information is available in the full database housed at the library, contact by email [email@example.com] for more information. Of course, not all information is included for every individual in the database but we do update the database frequently. All information in the database is free.
Church History and Records (rural area)[edit | edit source]
- Jackson County Genealogy Library has records for the First United Methodist Church and for the First Presbyterian Church in Jacksonville, OR; In addition we have early records of Moses Williams from the mid-19th century. The link to the Moses Williams records is http://rvgslibrary.org/Diary/Moses.html.
Census[edit | edit source]
- 1853 Territorial Transcription and Index
- 1854 Territorial Transcription and Index
- 1855 Territorial Transcription and Index
- 1856 Territorial Transcription and Index
- 1857 Territorial Transcription and Index
- 1858 Territorial Transcription and Index
- 1859 State Transcription and Index
- 1893 State Transcription and Index
Court Records[edit | edit source]
The website of Jackson County Genealogy Library contains indexes to marriage certificates, divorce records, naturalization documents, and deeds. Copies of the the original and/or of abstracts of those documents can be obtained by paying a nominal fee.
Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
Land and Records[edit | edit source]
Maps[edit | edit source]
Military History and Records[edit | edit source]
Civil War[edit | edit source]
- 1861-1865 - Oregon, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
World War I[edit | edit source]
- 1919-1920 - Oregon, World War I, County Military Service Records, 1919-1920 at FamilySearch — index
- 1921-1938 - Oregon, World War I, Veteran State Aid Applications, 1921-1938 at FamilySearch — index and images
Newspapers[edit | edit source]
Oregon Online Historical Newspapers - identifies historical archived and digitized newspapers available online on both free and pay-to-access websites.
Historic Oregon Newspapers http://oregonnews.uoregon.edu/ as a division of the Oregon Digital Newspaper Program has digitzied more than 644,000 pages of newspapers throughout Oregon. Dates range from 1846-1922 with selected issues continuing through 1973.
Of particular interest to Jackson county researchers:
The Ashland Daily Tidings (Ashland)
The Ashland Tidings (Ashland)
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Rivers and Waterways[edit | edit source]
Details about the rivers and waterways where farms and settlements are often found along them. >> Rivers and Waterways
Taxation[edit | edit source]
Vital Records[edit | edit source]
The Jackson County Genealogy Library has extensive indexes to births, marriages, divorces, death certificates, and obituaries for residents of Jackson County.
See also How to order Oregon Vital Records, order electronically online or download an application for Oregon Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
Birth Records[edit | edit source]
Delayed Birth Certificates
Marriage Records[edit | edit source]
- 1826-1975 - Oregon, United States Marriages at FindMyPast — index $
- Extractions of early marriages are listed on the Western States Marriage Index
- Marriage Index 1885-1896 Actually is a book of affiants reporting the marriages. Historical Records Collection
Death Records[edit | edit source]
Societies, Libraries and Museums[edit | edit source]
Jackson County Genealogy Library
3405 S Pacific Hwy
Medford, OR 97501
Eagle Point Historical Society and Museum
PO Box 201
N. Royal Avenue
Eagle Point, OR 97524
Rogue Valley Genealogical Society
3405 S. Pacific Highway
Medford, OR 97501
Southern Oregon Historical Society
106 N Central Ave.
Medford, OR 97501
Telephone: 541-773-6536 ext 238
Talent Historical Society
Archives and Research
P O Box 582
Talent, Oregon 97540
Family History Centers[edit | edit source]
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes.
- For current information about a center near you, go to the Family History Center Map
- Central Point Oregon Family History Center 2305 Taylor Rd Central Point OR 97502-1768 United States
- Medford Oregon Family History Center2900 Juanipero Way Medford OR 97501 United States
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Jackson County Genealogy Library, Medford, Jackson County, OR
- Rogue Valley Genealogical Society, Medford, OR
- Jackson County, OR History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Oregon Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Oregon Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- The Jackson County GenWeb Projectpart of the ORGenWeb Project
- Jackson County, Oregon History Notes
- The USGenWeb Archives Project
- The USGenWeb Archives Project (backup site)
- FamilySearch.org FamilySearch Catalog for Jackson County
Jackson County Oregon Genealogy References[edit | edit source]
- Wikipedia contributors, "Jackson, Oregon" in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackson_County,_Oregon accessed 27 Nov 2018
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Jackson County, Oregon . Page 572-574 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002; Alice Eichholz, ed. Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources, Third ed. (Provo, Utah: Ancestry, 2004), 563-564.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Hood River County, Oregon page 573, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- WorldCat 50140092 ▲ FamilySearch Catalog Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed.] (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002)
- Wikipedia contributors, "Jackson County, Oregon," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackson_County,_Oregon, accessed 10 November 2018.