Difference between revisions of "Iowa State Census, 1905 - FamilySearch Historical Records"
(→Known Issues with This Collection)
(→How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?)
|Line 144:||Line 144:|
[[Category:Iowa Census Records|Census]]
[[Category:Iowa Census Records|Census]]
Revision as of 13:48, 14 March 2019
|Access the Records|
Iowa State Census, 1905
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of Iowa|
|Location of Iowa|
|Record Type||State Census|
|State Historical Department, Des Moines|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection contains a name index of the Iowa state census taken in 1905. The population schedule names every person in the household.
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
- County, township and city of residence
- Mailing address
- Can read and write
- Birthplace of parents
- Owner of home or farm, value of property and amount of incumbrance
- If naturalized
- Number of years in the US and in Iowa
- Marital Status
- Number of months in school and what type of school
- Number of months unemployed
- Details of military service
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Image[edit | edit source]
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching the collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of your ancestor
- The place where your ancestor lived
- The names of other relatives
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name by visiting the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
View the Images[edit | edit source]To view images in this collection:
- Look at the Iowa, State Census, 1905 Digital Folder Number List article to determine the folder/film number for the images you want to see
- Go to the Browse Page
- Select the Film number to view the images
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Iowa, State Census, 1905. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Use the ages listed to determine approximate birth dates and find the family in additional census records
- Use the information found in the record to find vital records such as birth, baptism, marriage, and death
- Use the information found in the record to find land, probate and immigration records
- Search for church records
I Can't Find the Person I'm Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- If your ancestor does not have a common name, collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This list can help you find possible relatives
- If you cannot locate your ancestor in the locality in which you believe they lived, then try searching records of a nearby town or county
- Try different spellings of your ancestor’s name
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the state of Iowa.
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
- "Iowa State Census, 1905." Database with images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : 23 August 2016. State Historical Department, Des Moines.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?[edit | edit source]
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Historical Records.|
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.