Hawaii Passport Records - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Hawaii, Passport Records, 1874-1898
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of Hawaii|
|Location of Hawaii|
|Location of Hawaii|
|Hawai'i State Archives|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This project contains the following records from the state of Hawaii: Card Index to Chinese Passports, 1884-1898; Passports (cover pages) 1884-1888; Passport Registrations for Immigration, Madeira to Hawaii, 1878-1884. Card Index to Chinese Passports, 1884-1898: Author: Chinese Bureau. A card index to Chinese passports. Microfilm of original records at the Hawaii State Archives. This collection consists of two alphabetized card indexes. The first lists those people for whom the original passports were still on file at the time the index was compiled and includes some people whose passports were not on file. The second lists people whose passports were not on file and covers the years 1891-1893. It also includes a card file of unnamed Chinese arrivals in Hawaii, arranged by date, 1854-1898. Passports, 1884-1888: Author: Hawaii Minister of Foreign Affairs: Chinese passports granted by the Minister of Foreign Affairs in Hawaii. Microfilm of originals made at the Archives of Hawaii in Honolulu. Passport Registrations for Immigration from Madeira to Hawaii, 1878-1884: Author: Demello: Alphabetical extract to passport records with an index. The extracted records are in English, the actual documents are in Portuguese. Contains an alphabetized extract (several copies) an original passport registration documents and includes an index to passport records.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images.
For additional information about image restrictions, please see the Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections page.
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
- City residing in at time of issuance
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- Name of ancestor
- Date when they may have applied for a passport
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name by visiting the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Add any new information to your records
- When you have located your ancestor on a passport record, carefully evaluate each piece of information given. Save a copy of the image or transcribe the information. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details.
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Check for variant spellings. Realize that the indexes may contain inaccuracies, such as altered spellings and misinterpretations
- Try a different index if there is one for the years needed. You may also need to search the passenger lists year by year
- Search the indexes of other port cities
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the state of Hawaii.
- Beginning Research in United States Naturalization Records
- Beginning Research in United States Immigration and Emigration Records
- Hawaii Guided Research
- Research Tips and Strategies
- Step-by-Step Research
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?[edit | edit source]
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Historical Records.|
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.