Grand Portage Indian Agency (Minnesota)
|Native American Topics|
|Bureau of Indian Affairs|
Guide to Grand Portage Indian Agency (Minnesota) ancestry, family history and genealogy: birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, parish registers, and military records.
Indian Tribes Associated With This Agency
Agencies and subagencies were created as administrative offices of the Bureau of Indian Affairs and its predecessors. Their purpose was (and is) to manage Indian affairs with the tribes, to enforce policies, and to assist in maintaining the peace. The names and location of these agencies may have changed, but their purpose remained basically the same.Many of the records of genealogical value (for the tribe and tribal members) were created by and maintained by the agencies.
Some records of the Grand Portage Day School, 1913-1921, are in the Great Lakes Regional Archives of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) in Chicago, filed under the records of the Consolidated Chippewa Agency.
Microfilm copies of ...Narrative and Statistical Reports... for the Grand Portage Agency, 1912-1919, are included in National Archives Microcopy M1011, roll 57, available in the National Archives system and in the collections of the Family History Library in Salt Lake City (their microfilm number 1724275).
Annual Indian Census Rolls were taken at this agency/school for 1912, 1914-1918 and 1920 thru 1921. These rolls have been microfilmed by the National Archives as part of their Microcopy Number M595, roll 167. Copies of these records are also available at the National Archives, their Regional Archives, and at the Family History Library and its family history centers (their microfilm roll number 576856). These census rolls are also available online at Ancestry.com's subscription web site.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981, pp. 155-156.
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974.
- Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online