France, Seine-Maritime, Rouen, Indexes to Church Records - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
France, Seine-Maritime, Rouen, Indexes to Church Records, 1680-1789
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Rouen, Seine-Maritime, France|
|Flag of the French Republic|
|Flag of Seine-Maritime|
|Location of Rouen, Seine-Maritime, France|
|Location of France|
|Record Type:||Church Records|
|Title in the Language:||France, Seine-Maritime, Rouen, Index des registres paroissiaux, 1680-1789|
|Paroisses, Rouen, Haute-Normandie|
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection consists of indexes to church records from the city of Rouen, France for the years 1680-1789.
Publication of French records is authorized by the French commission for Informatics and Liberties (CNIL). FamilySearch has requested approval from this entity to publish French records. Use of images of this index is strictly limited to personal research only and is not intended to be used for profit. For permission contact:
- Mr. Jean-Pierre Bardet, Professeur Emérite Université de Paris-Sorbonne (Paris IV), 1, rue Victor-Cousin, 75005, Paris
As soon as permission has been granted by the CNIL, publication of French records will become available on FamilySearch.
Reading These Records[edit | edit source]
These records are written in French. For help reading them see:
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images. For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
To Browse This Collection[edit | edit source]
|You can browse through images in this collection using the waypoints on the Collection Browse Page for France, Seine-Maritime, Rouen, Indexes to Church Records, 1680-1789.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
- Full names of husband and wife
- Marriage date
- Birth date
- Death date
- Names of children
- Birth dates of children
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
The collection consists of a card index to all "B" surnames extracted from the 38 parishes of Rouen, France. Families are linked together on genealogical forms. In most cases, names are not necessarily filed alphabetically, but rather by their "sound".
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before beginning a search in these records, it is best to know the full name of the individual in question, as well as an approximate time range for the desired record. When entered into the search engine on the Collection Page, this information provides the quickest, most reliable path to finding the correct person. Of course, other information can be substituted as necessary.
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name on the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
View the Images[edit | edit source]
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page
- Select Drawer Number and Name Range to view the images
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at France, Seine-Maritime, Rouen, Indexes to Church Records, 1680-1789. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Look at an image of the original record. The original may contain information that was not recorded in the index. To find a copy of the original record, visit the [http://rouen.catholique.fr/ Paroisses, Rouen, Haute-Normandie page
- Do not forget to cite the record. See below for help citing this collection
- If possible, use what you know to find an image of the original record. The index contains only basic identifying information for a person; the original record therefore may contain more information not found in the index
- Continue to search the index for family members
I Can't Find the Person I'm Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Consult the France Record Finder to find other records
- Switch to a different record collection. Depending on the time period, one or the other collection may be more helpful
- If your ancestor does not have a common name, collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This can help you find possible relatives
- Keep in mind that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name
- Standard spelling of names typically did not exist during the periods our ancestors lived in. Try variations of your ancestor’s name while searching the index or browsing through images. Pay special attention to how the name should have been pronounced and try variations on the pronunciation
- A woman may have returned to her maiden name after the death of her husband
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in France.
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.