Fond du Lac County, Wisconsin Genealogy
Guide to Fond du Lac County, Wisconsin ancestry, genealogy and family history, birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
- 1 County Information
- 2 Resources
- 2.1 Bible Records
- 2.2 Biographies
- 2.3 Business, Commerce, and Occupations
- 2.4 Cemeteries
- 2.5 Census Records
- 2.6 Church Records
- 2.7 Court Records
- 2.8 Directories
- 2.9 Emigration and Immigration
- 2.10 Ethnic, Political, and Religious Groups
- 2.11 Funeral Homes
- 2.12 Genealogies
- 2.13 Guardianship
- 2.14 Land and Property Records
- 2.15 Local Histories
- 2.16 Maps and Gazetteers
- 2.17 Migration
- 2.18 Military Records
- 2.19 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 2.20 Newspapers
- 2.21 Obituaries
- 2.22 Other Records
- 2.23 Periodicals
- 2.24 Probate Records
- 2.25 School Records
- 2.26 Tax Records
- 2.27 Vital Records
- 3 Research Facilities
- 4 Societies
- 5 Websites
- 6 Research Guides
- 7 References
County Information[edit | edit source]
Description[edit | edit source]
The County was named for Fond du Lac which is French for "bottom of the lake". The County is located in the southeast area of the state.
County Courthouse[edit | edit source]
Fond du Lac County Courthouse
160 S. Macy Street
Fond du Lac, WI 54935-4241
Fond du Lac County Website
Register of Deeds has birth records from 1847, marriage records from 1844, death records from 1868 and land records.
Clerk of Courts has divorce and court records.
Probate Office has probate records.
Veterans Office has military records. 
Fond du Lac County, Wisconsin Record Dates[edit | edit source]
Information for this chart was taken from various sources, often containing conflicting dates. This information should be taken as a guide and should be verified by contacting the county and/or the state government agency.
Record Loss[edit | edit source]
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Boundary Changes[edit | edit source]
For animated maps illustrating Wisconsin County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Wisconsin County Boundary Maps" (1790-1961) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
Populated Places[edit | edit source]
For a complete list of populated places, including small neighborhoods and suburbs, visit Hometown Locator. The following are the most historically and genealogically relevant populated places in this county:
History Timeline[edit | edit source]
Resources[edit | edit source]
Bible Records[edit | edit source]
- Fond du Lac Bible Records WIGenWeb Project
Biographies[edit | edit source]
- Fond du Lac County Biographies USGenWeb Archives
Business, Commerce, and Occupations[edit | edit source]
Cemeteries[edit | edit source]
Census Records[edit | edit source]
For tips on accessing Fond du Lac census records online, see: Wisconsin Census.
- 1855 - 1855 Wisconsin State Census This census includes name of head of family; other individuals in the household are identified by sex and race, number of deaf and dumb, blind, insane and foreign born.
- 1865 - 1865 Wisconsin State Census Name index and images of the 1865 State Census which names the head of household. Most records have been destroyed but schedules exist for the following counties: Dunn, Green, Jackson, Kewaunee, Ozaukee, and Sheboygan.
- 1875 - 1875 Wisconsin State Census Identifies head of household by name.
- 1885 - Wisconsin State Census, 1885 at FamilySearch — index and images. Search indexed census.Identifies by name of head of household. Other information is statistical and identifies the rest of the household by race, gender and country of birth.
- 1895 - Wisconsin State Census, 1895 at FamilySearch — index and images. Identifies head of household by name. Other information is statistical.
- 1905 - Wisconsin State Census, 1905 at FamilySearch — Name index and images of population. Enumerates by name all inhabitants.
- 1830 - 1830 Federal Census, Wisconsin Territory, Fond du Lac WIGenWeb Project
- 1850 - 1850 Federal Census, Fond du Lac County by town WIGenWeb Project
- 1860 - 1860 Federal Census, Fond du Lac County, by Town WIGenWeb Project
- 1920 - 1920 Federal Census, Byron, partial WIGenWeb Project
- Fond du Lac Wards WIGenWeb Project
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Wisconsin denominations, view the Wisconsin Church Records wiki page.
- Church Histories, Fond du Lac County WIGenWeb Project
Court Records[edit | edit source]
Directories[edit | edit source]
- Fond du Lac, Wisconsin City Directories
- Centennial Directory, Fond du Lac County WIGenWeb Project
- Early Settlers of Mt. Calvary, Fond du Lac County WIGenWeb Project
- "Souvenir Album," Old Settlers and Home Comers of Fond du Lac County by Franklin Swett, 1912 WIGenWeb Project
Emigration and Immigration[edit | edit source]
Ethnic, Political, and Religious Groups[edit | edit source]
Funeral Homes[edit | edit source]
Genealogies[edit | edit source]
Guardianship[edit | edit source]
Land and Property Records[edit | edit source]
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Wisconsin Land and Property for additional information about early Wisconsin land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
- Wisconsin Land Patents Database, Fond du Lac County USGenWeb Archives
Local Histories[edit | edit source]
- History of Fond du Lac County WIGenWeb Archives
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
- Old Antique Atlases & Maps of Wisconsin
- Family Maps of Fond du Lac County, Wisconsin (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- Fond du Lac Townships Map. Mouse over 1855 to see the latest.
- 1867 Perspective Map of the City of Fond du Lac
- 1878 Map of the City of Fond du Lac
- Current Parcel maps for the City of Fond du Lac
Migration[edit | edit source]
Military Records[edit | edit source]
Civil War[edit | edit source]
Regiments. Service men in Fond du Lac served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Fond du Lac:
- - 1st Regiment, Wisconsin Cavalry, Companies, B, C, D, E, F and I
- - 2nd Regiment, Wisconsin Cavalry, Company A
- - 3rd Regiment, Wisconsin Cavalry, Company C
- - 5th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry, Company I
- - 5th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry Reorganized, Companies B and H
- - 6th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry, Company E
- - 10th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry, Company K
- - 14th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry, Company H with men from the town of Forest, which is found in Fond du Lac County, Richland County, St. Croix County or Vernon County
- 21st Wisconsin, Deaths in Rebel Prisons, Fond du Lac Weekly USGenWeb Archives
- The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors Database National Park Service
World War I[edit | edit source]
- Fond du Lac County Army Casualties USGenWeb Archives
World War II[edit | edit source]
US Army Enlistees from Fond du Lac County (USGenWeb Archives)
Naturalization and Citizenship[edit | edit source]
Newspapers[edit | edit source]
Obituaries[edit | edit source]
- Fond du Lac County Obituaries USGenWeb Archives
Other Records[edit | edit source]
Periodicals[edit | edit source]
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Probate records are held by the Fond du Lac Clerk of Circuit Court and are housed at the Fond du Lac Courthouse. See the wiki page Wisconsin Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, and adoptions.
A wiki article describing an online collection is found at Wisconsin Probate Records - FamilySearch Historical Records
- 1800–1987 Wisconsin Wills and Probate Records 1800-1987 at Ancestry — images and index $
- 1848–1948 Wisconsin Probate Estate Files 1848-1948 at FamilySearch — images
School Records[edit | edit source]
Tax Records[edit | edit source]
Wisconsin tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. Because only persons who owned property or other items that could be taxed were listed, some residents were not included in tax lists. There may also be gaps of several years in the tax records. For more information see the Wiki page, Wisconsin Taxation.
Vital Records[edit | edit source]
Vital records consist of birth, death, marriage and divorce records. Most counties started keeping records in the 1870s. In 1907, the counties began sending copies to the state.
For pre-1907 births, deaths, and marriages, search the Wisconsin Genealogy Index.
For additional information, see Wisconsin Vital Records.
Birth[edit | edit source]
- 1820-1907 Wisconsin, Birth Index, 1820-1907 at FamilySearch — index
- 1826-1908 Wisconsin, Births and Christenings Index, 1826-1908 at Ancestry — index $
- 1826-1926 Wisconsin, Births and Christenings, 1826-1926 at FamilySearch — index
- Early Birth Index (through 1854) WIGenWeb Project
Marriage[edit | edit source]
- 1836-1911 Wisconsin, County Marriages, 1836-1911 at FamilySearch — index
- 1836-1930 Wisconsin, Marriages, 1836-1930 at FamilySearch — index
- 1973-1997 Wisconsin, Marriage Index, 1973-1997 at FamilySearch — index
- 1973-1997 Wisconsin Marriages, 1973-1997 at Ancestry — index/images $
- Early Marriage Index (through 1850, Fond du Lac County WIGenWeb Project
Death[edit | edit source]
- 1820-1907 Wisconsin, Death Index, 1820-1907 at FamilySearch — index
- 1835-1968 Wisconsin, Deaths and Burials, 1835-1968 at FamilySearch — index
- 1867-1907 Wisconsin, Death Records, 1867-1907 at FamilySearch — index
- 1959-1997 Wisconsin, Death Index, 1959-1997 at FamilySearch — index
Divorce[edit | edit source]
Research Facilities[edit | edit source]
Archives[edit | edit source]
- Area Research Center
Polk Library, University of Wisconsin, Oshkosh
800 Algoma Blvd.
Oshkosh, WI 54901
Family History Centers[edit | edit source]
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes.
- For current information about a center near you, go to the Family History Center Map
Libraries[edit | edit source]
- Polk Library, University of Wisconsin, Oshkosh
Area Research Center
800 Algoma Blvd.
Oshkosh, WI 54901
Museums[edit | edit source]
Societies[edit | edit source]
- Fond du Lac County Genealogical Society
PO Box 1264
Fond du Lac, WI 54935-1056
- Fond du Lac County Historical Society
PO Box 1284
Fond du Lac, WI 54936-1284
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Fond du Lac County, WI History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Wisconsin Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Wisconsin Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Wisconsin State Genealogical Society- Fond du Lac County Page
- USGenWeb -- Fond du Lac County Page
- Fond du Lac Genealogical Society--Offers cemetery listings and publications for sale
- Fond du Lac County USGenWeb Archives
- FamilySearch Catalog - The FamilySearch catalog contains descriptions and access information for all genealogical materials (including books, online materials, microfilm, microfiche, and publications) in their collection. Use Historical Records to search for specific individuals in genealogical records
Research Guides[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Wisconsin.At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- Wikipedia contributors, "Fond du Lac County, Wisconsin " in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fond_du_Lac_County,_Wisconsin."
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Fond du Lac County, Wisconsin. Page 755-760, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002; Alice Eichholz, ed. Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources, Third ed. (Provo, Utah: Ancestry, 2004), 757-759.
- Wikipedia contributors, "Fond du Lac County, Wisconsin," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fond_du_Lac_County,_Wisconsin, accessed 7 September 2018.
To access available information, first log into FamilySearch.