Flesherton, Grey County, Ontario Genealogy
|Grey County, Ontario|
Location in the province of Ontario
Postal code N0C 1E0
Area codes 519 and 226
History[edit | edit source]
Flesherton is a community in the Municipality of Grey Highlands, in Grey County, Ontario, Canada. Flesherton was amalgamated with the surrounding Artemesia Township.
W.K. Flesher became a prominent local figure, acting at various times as postmaster, magistrate, druggist, and even doctor, as well as warden of Grey County (1855–1857, 1861–1862, 1865 and 1867), and reeve of the village (1854–1865 and 1866–1878). He organized a Masonic Lodge, and was a vocal booster of the village, convincing other businesses to settle in the area, including a woolen (fulling) mill owned by his son William Henry in 1863. Flesher also became captain of the local militia, No. 6 Company of the 31st Grey Regiment, and travelled with the regiment to train at Niagara-on-the-Lake during the Fenian Raids of 1866. In recognition of his contributions, the name of the settlement was changed first to Flesher's Corners, and then, when a more "village-like" name was seen as desirable, to Flesherton.