The following is a list of "Library Class" branch libraries of the LDS Family History Library. These are Regional Family History Centers and Large Multi-stake Family History Centers that are "Library Class."
Most of these used to be known as "Regional Libraries" or "Regional Family History Centers." They are not to be confused with the 4,000 plus smaller ward and stake FHCs. In 2010, the regional branch libraries were redesignated as "Large Multi-Stake FHCs" on the FamilySearch website.
"Library Class" is defined as having a larger facility and are generally complete with a dedicated internal computer server and a library catalogs or card catalogs for their collections. These branch libraries have dedicated book collections in the thousands, microfilm & microfliche in the tens of thousands, dozens of internet connected computers and microfilm & microfliche readers and some digital scanners. All have dedicated servers with DSL, cable or T-1 internet access. In addition all had at least one multi-use classroom, and several research areas.
These branch libraries have a dedicated non-paid full-time director (usually a husband/wife team) and dozens of volunteer staff. In many cases non-church member volunteers serve from the community. Local genealogy groups often support these library facilities seeing non-LDS patron use higher than local LDS usage.
- BYU Family History Library, part of the Harold B. Lee Library, at Brigham Young University, in Provo, Utah. The BYU Family History Library was one of the original planned FHCs and is now independent of the FHC system.
- Idaho Falls Regional Family History Center, Idaho Falls, Idaho
- Las Vegas Regional Family History Center, Las Vegas, Nevada
- Logan Utah Regional Family History Center, Logan, Utah
- London Family History Centre, Hyde Park, London, England
- Los Angeles Family History Library, Los Angeles, California
- Mesa Arizona Regional Family History Center, Mesa, Arizona See also Mesa Arizona FamilySearch Library
- Oakland Regional Family History Center, Oakland, California
- Ogden Regional Family History Center, Ogden, Utah
- Orange Regional Family History Center, Orange, California
- Pocatello Regional Family History Center, Pocatello, Idaho
- Riverton FamilySearch Library, Riverton Utah 
- Sacramento Regional Family History Center, Sacramento, California
- St. George Regional Family History Training Center, St. George, UT. Click here. 
- San Diego California FamilySearch Library, San Diego, California
Sources[edit | edit source]
- Allen, James B.; Jessie L. Embry; Kahlile B. Mehr. Hearts Turned to the Fathers: A History of the Genealogical Society of Utah. Provo: BYU Studies, 1995.
- Family history centers in Salt Lake area will be consolidated, Shill, Aaron, Mormon Times, Deseret News Publishing Company, accessed June 7, 2010
- Utah Main web site under construction.
[edit | edit source]
- FamilySearch.org for information on smaller family history center locations.
- Family History Library research wiki
- New York FHCs representing ward, stake and other Family History Centers.
- Los Angeles Family History Library formerly known as the "Los Angeles Regional Family History Center" is now designated as a "Large Multi-Stake Family History Center" by the LDS Church, but not by its supporting genealogical organizations and patrons (members and non-members).
- Family History Library Official Site
- FamilySearch Indexing