FamilySearch Indexing: US, Illinois County Marriages 1810 - 1934
|This article contains instructions for indexing a collection of records online for FamilySearch.|
100% completed (estimate)
|All current indexing projects...|
Welcome[edit | edit source]
Would you like to search these records? They aren’t available to be searched yet, but they are being indexed by volunteers around the world right now. If you would like to help index them and make them available faster, keep reading.
The completed index and links to digital images will be freely accessible online to the general public when the collection is published.
FamilySearch indexing[edit | edit source]
- To learn more about this worldwide indexing effort, go to indexing.familysearch.org
- How to help with this specific project
- If you have not already done so, you must register for a FamilySearch account at indexing.familysearch.org.
- Download the free indexing program. To do so, click here, and then click the Download Now button.
- Sign in to the indexing application, click the Download From... button, and then select this project name from the list.
Information about these records[edit | edit source]
Genealogical facts usually found in Illinois marriage records are:
- Marriage date
- Marriage place
- Names of the bride and groom
- Ages of the bride and groom
- Names of witnesses
- Name of the officiator who performed the marriage
- Officiator’s title
- Residence of bride and groom
- License date and number
- Recording date
Illinois marriage records included marriage registers and marriage licenses. Sometimes only one type of marriage record was preserved. Early county marriage records were handwritten into bound books with multiple entries to a page. These records provided little more than the date of marriage, names of the bride and groom, and the person who performed the marriage.
By the mid-1800s the counties had preprinted register books. Starting in 1877, marriage register books provided columns for ages, residences, birth places, and sometimes the names of the parents or guardians of the bride and groom.
The records in this collection are for 57 counties in Illinois. The type of record and the time period will vary by counties. Some counties also have a few birth records mixed in with the marriages.
*This project is recommended for volunteers who are familiar with the indexing process and comfortable using various system features. It is also helpful if volunteers understand the various documents that relate to marriages.
Indexing Home Page for this project:[edit | edit source]
Click here for more detailed information about this project, including "how-to" videos, indexing details for this project, and general indexing helps.
Discuss this project[edit | edit source]
- General discussion. Discuss this project with other participating volunteers.
- FamilySearch forums. Join the discussion for this project.