Open main menu
United States
New York
Ulster County
Archives and Libraries
Elting Memorial Library
Haviland Heidgerd Historical Collection at Elting Memorial Library

Contact Information

Email: havilandheidgerd@yahoo.com
Website: http://www.eltinglibrary.org/historical-collection/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/EltingMemorialLibrary/?ref=bookmarks
Address: 93 Main Street, New Paltz, NY 12561
Telephone: (845) 255-5030
Hours of Operation: Mon, Wed, Fri: 10:00-5:30, Tues, Thur: 1:00-5:30, closed Saturday and Sunday. For any closings, check our library calendar.


Directions/Parking Map:

Directions (Google Map)

There is a dedicated library parking lot on the corner of North Front and Church Street. You may park for free there while using the library.

Description of Collections

The Haviland-Heidgerd Historical Collection is the non-circulating research section of the Elting Memorial Library. Considered the best genealogical and local history collection in the Mid-Hudson Valley, it is a repository for primary source material and published works relating to the Hudson Valley. Its strongest focus is on the town and village of New Paltz. Through Elting Memorial Library, the collection is a part of the Mid-Hudson Library system, "a cooperative library system chartered by the New York Board of Regents dedicated to strengthening local library service while saving local tax dollars."[1] The online catalog for the collection is made available through Mid-Hudson and can be viewed here.

Services

Computer and online services: Public computer for genealogical purposes. Access to online subscription databases and websites including Ancestry.com.

Family History Library Microfilm access: We are an affiliated library and have digital access to semi-restricted images.

Church, Cemetery & Bible Records: Extensive collection of indexed Hudson Valley records including the counties of Ulster, Dutchess, Orange, Greene, Columbia, Putnam and Sullivan. Miscellaneous records from other   New York State Counties.

Maps & Directories: Extensive map and atlas collection including many 1st edition county atlases & wall maps done during the 19th century. Directories of Orange, Dutchess and Ulster Counties.

Obituaries, Births, and Marriage Announcements: Clipped from New Paltz newspapers, 1860 forward. Fully indexed.

Census Records: U. S. Federal Census (1800-1930) on microfilm for selected New York State counties. N.Y. State Census (1845-1925) for selected counties. Some indexes are available.

Genealogies: Published and unpublished material with a concentration on Hudson Valley families.

Vertical Files & Special Subject Files: Newspaper clippings and ephemera related to local people, businesses, schools, churches, and organizations.

House & Building Books: Extensive collection of materials relating to the history and architecture of the houses, farms and commercial buildings within the Town of New Paltz.

Newspapers: New Paltz newspapers (1860-forward) on microfilm.

Periodicals, magazines, newsletters, and yearbooks: Published periodicals from several genealogical & historical societies; Locally published magazines; Newsletters from many organizations and civic groups; Yearbooks from the New Paltz Central School District, The New Paltz Normal School, The College at New Paltz and SUNY New Paltz.

Photographs, Slides, & Postcards: Thousands of images dating from the late 19th century of residential, commercial, educational, religious and institutional buildings. Also, portraiture and family snapshots, community gatherings, recreation, transportation, the Hudson and Wallkill Rivers, the Mohonk and Minnewaska Mountain Houses, and the Catskill Aqueduct.

Miscellaneous genealogical information: Biographical information on approximately 2,000 New York State families.

Special Collections: Account books, invoices, and business ledgers from the Minnewaska Hotels; The Pine Funeral Home Records, Civil War letters, deeds, diaries, Family papers, Records of local clubs and organizations.

NY Heritage: A free digital, accessible, searchable online resource of New York history. Rich in facts, photos, letters, diaries, manuscripts, memorabilia, maps, ephemera, audio and video clips, postcards and more from the Haviland-Heidgerd Historical Collection and other historical societies, libraries, museums across New York State.  Visit us at NY Heritage.

Krupp Map: Working with Carol Johnson and Margaret Stanne from the Haviland-Heidgerd Historical Collection, Gregory Krupp, a student intern for SUNY New Paltz’s Geography Department, mapped the land of the original patent and its early divisions. These divisions were made by the members of the Duzine, the twelve men, who governed our early township. Krupp was able to identify old boundary and plot lines combining today’s technology with old deeds, maps, town records, and stone walls, some of which were built with slave labor. All this land was not surveyed until 2017, 340 years after the patent. Online access to the Krupp Map is available here.

History

On April 1st, 1909 a provisional charter was granted to the New Paltz Free Library by the Regents of the University of the State of New York. The village of New Paltz paid for the rent of the rooms. On December 2, 1915, the Regents of the University of the State of New York, being satisfied that the required conditions were met, granted the New Paltz Free Library an absolute charter to replace its provisional charter and to continue the corporation with all its powers, privileges and duties. In a few years, a lack of space made it necessary to find more commodious quarters. By 1919 the holdings of the library had reached 3,000 books and the circulation was over 9,000. After Mrs. Theora Hasbrouck died in December 1919 the library trustees met and began negotiating for the purchase of her home at 93 Main St. Through the efforts of Mrs. Lanetta Elting DuBois, her cousin Mr. Philip LeFevre Elting of Chicago, gave $4000 to purchase the property, with the condition that the building be known as the Elting Memorial Library, on the understanding that proper provision be made for its equipment and maintenance. Myron Teller, an architect from Kingston, was hired to transform the house into a library and on Saturday, October 9, 1920, the Elting Memorial Library was opened to the public. The first major addition to the library was a 46’ x 19’ wing added to provide the library with a much-needed youth center. On July 7, 1962, the completed building, equipped and entirely paid for was dedicated. By the 1970’s not only had the Haviland-Heidgerd Historical Collection outgrown its original space, so had the rest of the library.  The population of the Town of New Paltz had doubled since the addition of 1962 and as a result, so had the demand for library services and growth in library holdings. Under the leadership of its energetic Board President Karen Connor and newly hired Library Director John Giralico, plans for new addition were drawn up and a fund drive established. Through the outstanding efforts and generosity of the community, combined with a grant obtained through the Economic Development Administration, the new wing became a reality in 1978. By far the biggest and most ambitious project taken on by the library community was the expansion project, which tripled the size of the library in 2006. Under the leadership of Board President Sally Rhoads, the money was raised and the newly expanded library opened its doors on August 7th, 2006.[2]

Mary Stuart Vanderlyn Haviland was a generous supporter of Elting Memorial Library for over 60 years. She contributed the money for the landscaping and stone wall that still remains today along Main Street and made repeated donations to develop the library’s local history collection. In January 1965 the local history collection was named the Mary Stuart Haviland History Collection, in her honor. The collection was housed in the east room on the second floor of the old building. The first director of the collection was William Heidgerd, a past President of the Board of Trustees and lover of local history and genealogy. The Board of Trustees recognized Mr. Heidgerd’s tireless efforts on behalf of the library in 1973 and renamed the local history collection, The Haviland-Heidgerd Historical Collection.[2]

Tips for Your Visit

The collection does not require appointments, but you must call or email in advance to use the public computer within the collection. While appointments are not required, it is helpful to call or email in advance of your visit so that staff can prepare materials.

Guides