Eggleston, Durham Genealogy
Eggleston Holy Trinity Co Durham
|County||Durham, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Teesdale|
|Parish registers: 1795|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1795|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Durham (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Durham County Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
EGGLESTONE, a chapelry, in the parish of Middleton-in-Teesdale, union of Teesdale, S. W. division of Darlington ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 6 miles (N. W. by N.) from Barnard-Castle; The chapelry is bounded on the south by the river Tees, over which is a handsome bridge. There is a place of worship for a congregation of Wesleyan Methodists. 
Additional information: Holy Trinity Eggleston was formed as a parish in 1859 and was formerly a chapelry in Middleton in Teesdale, Durham Genealogy parish until Holy Trinity was built in 1869.
EGGLESTONE, a chapelry, in the parish of Middleton-in-Teesdale, union of Teesdale, S. W. division of Darlington ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 6 miles (N. W. by N.) from Barnard-Castle; containing 617 inhabitants. The chapelry is bounded on the south by the river Tees, over which is a handsome bridge; and comprises an area of 7920 acres. The surface is pleasingly diversified, rising gradually from the river, near which it is richly wooded; the trees diminish in number as they recede from the bank of the Tees, and disappear towards the summits of the hills in a vast tract of moorland abounding in grouse, where numerous trunks and branches of pine-trees are found imbedded in the soil, apparently vestiges of an ancient forest. The soil near the river is extremely rich; in other parts generally clay, alternated with beds of sand, and veins of stone. Lead and iron ore are found in abundance, and vestiges of iron-mines are frequently discovered, some of which bear internal evidence of having been wrought by the Romans; mines of lead have been in operation since the time of Henry VI., and the London Lead Company have established works here, in which from 60 to 70 persons are employed in smelting the ore raised from various lead-mines in Teesdale. Egglestone Hall is a handsome mansion, erected on the site of a former structure by William Hutchinson, Esq., uncle of the present proprietor. The chapel, which is situated within the demesne of the Hall, is an ancient structure in the Norman style, consisting of a nave and chancel, in which are several monuments to the Hutchinson family; the nave was enlarged and newly roofed about the commencement of the present century. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Rector of Middleton, and has a net income of £100. There is a place of worship for a congregation of Wesleyan Methodists.
From: 'Egerton - Eisey', Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 150-154. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50942 Date accessed: 30 March 2011.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church records[edit | edit source]
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
The Parish Registers for the period 1795-1920 are deposited at Durham County Record Office, County Hall, Durham, DH1 5UL (EP/Egn).
Durham University Library Archives and Special Collections Reference number: DDR/EA/PBT/2/95 Date: 1795-1854 Parish Register transcripts are available to search free online at FamilySearch HistoricalRecords. The images for this parish have not yet been loaded and await engineering.
The dates of the post-1760 transcripts have been noted in detail and sometimes only cover years. For most parishes in the collection there are gaps in the sequence of transcripts. It is advisable to consult the original parish registers for these years and events.
Non Conformist Churches[edit | edit source]
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Durham Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England, (1848). Adapted. Date accessed: 10 December 2013.
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.