Delaware and Shawnee Indian Agency (Missouri)
Indian Tribes Associated With This Agency
The Shawnee Agency was established in 1855 for the Shawnee and Wyandot Indians who lived in Kansas. The Shawnee lived on a reserve south of the Kansas river, granted to them by a treaty in 1825 but was greatly reduced in area by another treaty in 1854. The treaty of 1854 provided for the allotment of tribal land to individual Indians. The Wyandot purchased their tract from the Delaware Indians in 1843.
The Shawnee Agency was under the supervision of the Central Superintendency.
Agencies and subagencies were created as administrative offices of the Bureau of Indian Affairs and its predecessors. Their purpose was (and is) to manage Indian affairs with the tribes, to enforce policies, and to assist in maintaining the peace. The names and location of these agencies may have changed, but their purpose remained basically the same. Many of the records of genealogical value (for the tribe and tribal members) were created by and maintained by the agencies.
Records Available through the Family History Library
- Marriage cards, 1890-1928 School census, 1943 Index to allottees (no dates) Register of vital statistics, 1933-1935 FHL Film 1204637
- Allotment or estate records, late 1800's-early 1900's FHL film 1204638
- Allotment or estate records, late 1800's - early 1900's FHL film 1204639
- Family history data, late 1800's-early 1900's Birth and death records, 1925-1943 (includes letters concerning enrollment) FHL film 1204640
- Index and heirship cards, A-O (undated) FHL film 1205231
- Index and heirship cards, P-Z, A-Z (undated) FHL film 1205232
- Inherited interest cards (not dated) Permanent school census cards, 1930-1935 Report of Indian pupils attendance, 1933-1934 FHL film 1204641
- Births and deaths, Iowa and Kickapoo, 1928-1932 Births and deaths, all tribes, 1919-1922 Births and deaths, all tribes, 1920-1930 Probate file, 1936 School census of Indian children, 1924-1927 FHL film 1205233 Items 3-7
- Record of students in schools, 1927-1929 Inherited interests of heirs, 1924-1935 Annual school census report, 1941-1943 School census, 1920-1923 FHL film 1205233 Items 14-17
- Heirship hearings, 1913-1914 FHL film 1023978 Item 2
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974.
- Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online