Channel Islands Genealogy
|Channel Islands Wiki Topics|
|Channel Islands Background|
|Local Research Resources|
Guide to Channel Islands ancestry, family history, and genealogy: birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, parish registers, and military records.
Country Information[edit | edit source]
The Channel Islands (Norman: Îles d'la Manche) are a group of islands off the coast of Normandy, France. They comprise two separate countries: the Bailiwick of Guernsey and the States of Jersey. They are British, but do not belong to the United Kingdom. They have their own language, a Norman-French patois is still spoken, but everyone speaks English.
Getting Started[edit | edit source]
Getting Started with Channel Islands Research
Links to articles on getting started with Channel Islands research.
Channel Islands Research Tools
Links to articles and websites that assist in Channel Islands research.
Channel Islands Map[edit | edit source]
Jurisdictions[edit | edit source]
Genealogy records are kept on the local level in the Channel Islands. Click on a place below to go to the corresponding Wiki article listing more information.
Jersey Parishes[edit | edit source]
Jersey is divided into twelve parishes. All have access to the sea and most are named after saints to whom their ancient parish churches are dedicated:
- Saint Brélade
- Saint Clement
- Saint Helier
- Saint John
- Saint Lawrence
- Saint Martin
- Saint Mary
- Saint Ouen
- Saint Peter
- Saint Saviour
These parishes are further divided into vingtaines (or, in the case of St. Ouen, cueillettes).
Bailiwick of Guernsey Parishes (and Islands)[edit | edit source]
As well as the island of Guernsey itself, the Bailiwick includes the islands of Alderney, Sark, Herm, Jethou, Brecqhou, Burhou, Lihou and other islets.
The ten parishes of Guernsey are:
- St Andrew
- St Martin
- St Peter Port
- St Pierre du Bois
- St Sampson
- St Saviour
More Channel Islands Research Tools[edit | edit source]
Research tools can include resources that assist in locating correct records to search and determining the correct locality to search in. Below are links and Wiki articles to research tools for Channel Islands.
- Historical Descriptions of the Channel Island (helpful tools and resources, gazetteers)
- Jerripedia This site is dedicated to the study of Jersey's history and family history
- The Channel Islands Family History Society
- Jersey Heritage Trust
- Société Jersiaise
- Jersey Boer War Roll of Honor - it is an on going project.
- Guernsey: Land Registry Documents
- Research Archives: https://www.facebook.com/editdoc.php?note_id=1565232740398329 History of Guernsey
- Guernsey Civil Registartion
- Guernsey Ancestry
- Forebears Guernsey
FamilySearch Resources[edit | edit source]
Below are FamilySearch resources that can assist you in researching your family.
- Facebook Communities - Facebook groups discussing genealogy research
- Learning Center - Online genealogy courses
- Historical Records
- Family History Center locator map
References[edit | edit source]
- Wikipedia contributors, "Channel Islands," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Channel_Islands, accessed 3 May 2016.