Catahoula Parish, Louisiana Genealogy
Guide to Catahoula Parish, Louisiana ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Catahoula Parish, Louisiana|
Location in the state of Louisiana
Location of Louisiana in the U.S.
|Founded||March 23, 1808|
|Address||301 Bushley Street|
Harrisonburg, LA 71340
- 1 Parish Information
- 2 Parish Courthouse
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 4.1 African American
- 4.2 Bible Records
- 4.3 Biographies
- 4.4 Cemeteries
- 4.5 Census
- 4.6 Church
- 4.7 Court
- 4.8 Land
- 4.9 Local Histories
- 4.10 Maps
- 4.11 Military
- 4.12 Newspapers
- 4.13 Obituaries
- 4.14 Probate
- 4.15 Taxation
- 4.16 Vital Records
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Websites
- 7 References
The County was named for the Tensas word for big, clear lake. The County has Harrisonburg as its seat and the County was created March 23, 1808. The County is located in the northeast area of the state.
Catahoula Parish, Louisiana Record DatesEdit
Catahoula Parish County Courthouse
301 Bushley Street; PO Box 198
Harrisonburg, LA 71340-0198
Parish Clerk has marriage records from 1830,
burial, probate and divorce records from 1800’s,
land records from 1808 and military records 
- Louisiana Census Images ~ USGenWeb Census Images Project
For animated maps illustrating Louisiana Parish boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Louisiana Parish Boundary Maps" (1805-1990) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
Early 1900s Total record destruction from unknown cause.
For suggestions about research in places that suffered historic record losses, see:
- Burned Counties. By Michael John Neill. Online at: Family History Circle.
- When the Records are Gone. By Arlene Eakle. Online at: Tennessee Genealogy Blog.
- Burned Counties Research in the FamilySearch Research Wiki.
Places / LocalitiesEdit
For a complete list of populated places, including small neighborhoods and suburbs, visit HomeTown Locator. The following are the most historically and genealogically relevant populated places in this county:
Neighboring Parishes or CountiesEdit
- Louisiana African American Griots Project ~ USGenWeb Project
- Afrigeneas - African Ancestored Genealogy
- African American Cemeteries, listing by county
- Catahoula Parish Bible Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- Index of Catahoula Parish Biographies (USGenWeb Archives)
- Catahoula Biographies (LAGenWeb Project)
- Catahoula Parish Biographies (Genealogy Trails)
The following web sites may have additional information on Catahoula Parish cemeteries.
|Catahoula Parish Census Data|
- Louisiana Census Images ~ USGenWeb Census Images Project
- Catahoula Parish Census Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- Catahoula Parish Census Records. Go to "Census" on menu bar and click on desired record. (LAGenWeb Project)
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Louisiana Land and Property for additional information about early Louisiana land ownership. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse where records are also currently housed.
- Catahoula Parish Deeds and Land Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Local histories are available for Catahoula Parish, Louisiana Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Louisiana Local Histories.
- Louisiana Museums
- Catahoula History (LAGenWeb Project)
- Catahoula Parish History Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- 1861-1865 - Louisiana Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Louisiana Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1883 - Catahoula Parish Pensioners on the Rolls as of January 1, 1883 (Genealogy Trails)
- 1898-1950 - Louisiana Confederate Pensions, 1898-1950 at FamilySearch — images
Regiments. Service men in Catahoula Parish, Louisiana Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Catahoula Parish, Louisiana Genealogy:
- - 1st Regiment, Louisiana Cavalry (Confederate), Company K
- - 3rd Regiment, Louisiana Cavalry (Confederate), Companies H and K
- - 3rd Regiment, Louisiana Cavalry (Harrison's)(Confederate), Companies D and E
World War IEdit
World War IIEdit
- 1940-1945 - Louisiana First Registration Draft Cards, compiled 1940-1945 at FamilySearch — index and images
- Louisiana Newspaper List, listing by name/parish (USNPL)
- Louisiana Newspaper listing (Newslink)
- Catahoula Parish Newspapers and Obituaries (LDS Genealogy}
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Catahoula Parish, Louisiana Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Catahoula County Obituaries and Death Notices (Genealogy Trails)
- Index to Catahoula County Obituaries (USGenWeb Archives)
Probate records before 1845 were kept in probate courts. Since 1845, they have been kept by the Catahoula Parish, Louisiana Genealogy clerk of the district court. Many of the probate records are included in the notarial records with the deeds and mortgages. In some parishes they are known as “succession” records.
See the Wiki page Louisiana Probate Records for more information about probate records in Louisiana.
Content: Probate records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Online Probate Records
Louisiana tax records can be used in place of missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information, see Louisiana Taxation.
Louisiana statewide registration of birth and death records began in 1911. Births and deaths are kept by the Louisiana Vital Records Registry. Marriages were recorded by each parish, and the records are at the parish clerk of court office. See also How to order Louisiana Vital Records or order electronically online.
See Louisiana Vital Records for more information on getting Louisiana records.
- Louisiana Records and Statistics Information ~ where and how to order information.
- Catahoula Parish Vital Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- 1837–1957 - Louisiana, Parish Marriages, 1837-1957 at FamilySearch — index and images
- Catahoula Parish Marriage Records (LAGenWeb Project)
- Catahoula County Marriage Records, A Surnames (Genealogy Trails)
- Catahoula Parish Divorce Records (LAGenWeb Project)
- 1850-1875, 1894-1960 - Louisiana Deaths, 1850-1875, 1894-1960 at FamilySearch — index and images
- Catahoula County Death and Obituary Records (LAGenWeb Project)
Societies and LibrariesEdit
- Central Louisiana Genealogical Society
PO Box 12206
Alexandria, LA 71315-2206
- Louisiana Historical Society
- Louisiana Historical Association
Family History CentersEdit
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes.
- For current information about a center near you, go to the Family History Center Map
- Louisiana Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Louisiana Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Catahoula History
- Catahoula Parish, Louisiana, LAGenWeb Project
- Catahoula Parish, Louisiana, USGenWeb Archives
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Catahoula Parish, Louisiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Catahoula Parish, Louisiana, Genealogy and History (Genealogy Trails)
- Catahoula Parish LA Genealogy (ldsgenealogy.com)
- Wikipedia contributors, "Catahoula, Louisiana," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catahoula_Parish,_Louisiana."
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Catahoula Parish, Louisiana. Page 289-293 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002; Alice Eichholz, ed. Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources, Third ed. (Provo, Utah: Ancestry, 2004), 267-268.
- The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002) Catahoula County, Louisiana, p.290
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Wikipedia contributors, "Catahoula Parish, Louisiana," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catahoula_Parish,_Louisiana, accessed 31 December 2019.
- United States Census Bureau. "Louisiana Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". http://www.census.gov/population/cencounts/la190090.txt. Retrieved 2008-02-02.