|Austria Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Guide to Austria ancestry, family history, and genealogy: birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, parish registers, and military records.
Country Information[edit | edit source]
Austria is landlocked and in a strategic location at the crossroads of central Europe bordering the Czech Republic, Germany, Hungary, Slovakia, Slovenia, Italy, Switzerland, and Liechtenstein. The major river is the Danube. As a result of wars and political realignments, the internal and external boundaries of Austria have changed several times. German is the official language.
Getting Started[edit | edit source]
Getting Started with Austria Research
Links to articles on getting started with Austrian research.
Austria Research Tools
Links to articles and websites that assist in Austrian research.
Austria Clickable Map[edit | edit source]
The boundaries of Austria have changed over time. Your ancestor may have said he was from Austria, but actually he may have come from any of the countries that once belonged to the Hapsburg Monarchy or Austro-Hungarian Empire. Therefore, see also Research in the Austro-Hungarian Empire.
Provinces of Modern Austria[edit | edit source]
More Austria Research Strategies[edit | edit source]
Research strategies give guidance on how to research or what records to search for first. Below are additional research strategy Wiki articles for Austria.
More Austria Research Tools[edit | edit source]
Research tools can include resources that assist in locating correct records to search and determining the correct locality to search in. Below are links and Wiki articles to research tools in Austria.
- Handwriting Guide
- Dictionary of old German Definitions
- German to English Translator
- German- English dictionary
- All about batch numbers (text in German)
- German genealogy web portal - English front page
- BYU Research Guide for Germany, many links out-of-date
- Information System Austrian National Library - Special link collection for genealogy (55 links, Page in German)
- Listing of all records collections for Austria available on FamilySearch.org.
- Wikipedia List of cities and towns in Austria
- Austria Genealogy links
- Austria Genealogy
- Austria GenWeb
- Beginners Guide to Austrian Jewish Genealogy
- Burgenland Bunch
- Displaced Persons' (DP) Camps Table of Contents
- German Word List
- Germany Letter Writing Guide
- File:German Gothic Handwriting Guide.pdf
- Hamburg Passenger Lists FamilySearch Wiki article
- Database Information System Austrian National Library - Special link collection for genealogy (55 links, Page in German
- A cooperative effort to provide free resources and data banks to facilitate genealogy research in Austria and the Dual Monarchy, affiliated with IHFF above
- Jewish Genealogy
- Latin Genealogical Word List
- Archives in Austria
FamilySearch Resources[edit | edit source]
Below are FamilySearch resources that can assist you in resourcing your family.
- Facebook Communities - Facebook groups discussing genealogy research
- Learning Center - Online genealogy courses
- Historical Records
- Family History Center locator map
References[edit | edit source]
- Wikipedia contributors, "Austria," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austria, accessed 23 March 2016.