Australia, Tasmania, Civil Registration of Births - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Australia, Tasmania, Civil Registration of Births, 1899-1912
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of Australia|
|Flag of Tasmania|
|Location of Tasmania, Australia|
|Record Type||Civil Registration of Births|
|Tasmanian Department of Justice|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
These records include civil registration of births in Tasmania, Australia. Original records are kept in the Tasmania Department of Justice in Hobart, Australia. Though this record collection covers the years 1899 to 1912, civil registration in Tasmania began in late 1838.
To Browse This Collection[edit | edit source]
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Australia, Tasmania, Civil Registration of Births, 1899-1912.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
- Name of child
- Date and place of birth
- Name and surname of father
- Name and Maiden name of Mother
- Father’s occupation
- Date of registration
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Image[edit | edit source]
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
As you are searching it is helpful to know such information as your ancestor’s given name and surname, some identifying information such as residence and age, and family relationships. Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name as your ancestor and that your ancestor may have used nicknames or different names at different times. To begin your search for birth records, it would be helpful if you knew the following information:
- Name of parents
- Approximate year of birth or baptism
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name by visiting the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
View the Images[edit | edit source]
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select Place
- Select Record Type
- Select Year Range to view the images.
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Australia, Tasmania, Civil Registration of Births, 1899-1912. Click on camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Look at an image of the original record. The original may contain information that was not recorded in the index or transcription. To find a copy of the original record, visit the Tasmanian Department of Justice page
- Use the information you have found to find the person in a census record.
- Use the information you have found to get more information on the parents such as possible birth and marriage records
I Can't Find the Person I'm Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Quite a few births were registered without a given name. It is possible to find the names by doing the following:
- Look at the civil register to see if a name was added after the index was created
- Look at the civil register to see if a note was added about where the child was baptized and his or her given name
- Search additional records, such as marriage, newspapers or obituaries, to decide by a preponderance of evidence the probable name of the child
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in Australia.
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
- "Australia, Tasmania, Civil Registration of Births, 1899-1912." Database with images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : 4 March 2019. Tasmania Department of Justice, Hobart.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?[edit | edit source]
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Historical Records.|
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.