95th Regiment, Illinois Infantry
Brief History[edit | edit source]
The 95th Regiment, Illinois Infantry was organized at Rockford, Illinois, and mustered in September 4, 1862. It moved to Meridian and Vicksburg, Mississippi and mustered out August 17, 1865. Recruits transferred to the 47th Illinois Infantry.
For more information on the history of the 95th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, see the following:
- Wikipedia, (accessed 6 January 2011) article on the 95th Illinois Volunteer Infantry Regiment.
- Civil War Archive. (accessed 6 Jan 2011) Brief history of the 95th Regiment Infantry.
Companies in this Regiment with County of Origin[edit | edit source]
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
The following counties of origin are taken from the Adjutant General's Report, found on the Illinois Civil War Rosters web site. Roster pages are from the same report found on the Internet Archives web site. The rosters show the men who served in each regiment, their residences, dates of enlistment and mustering out, and other remarks.
Unassigned Recruits - Roster, vol. 5, page 433.
Other Sources[edit | edit source]
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Illinois in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Illinois in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Illinois, and how to find them. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861-1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Illinois Civil War Rosters from the Adjutant General's Report, 95th Regiment (accessed 22 Feb. 2011) includes rosters of all the regiments and information on the different companies in each regiment.
- Illinois State Archives - Illinois Civil War Muster and Descriptive Rolls Database (accessed 14 June 2011). Search by residence, unit, regiment, company or soldier.
BOOKS AND FILMS
- Civil War Centennial Commission of Illinois. Illinois Military Units in the Civil War. (Springfield, [Ill.]:Civil War Centennial Commission of Illinois, c1962).FHL Collection. FHL US/CAN Book 977.3 M2im and FHL US/CAN Film 6334558. Other libraries with this book. Includes military units by county, infantry, cavalry, and artillery regiments, including independent artillery.
- United States. War Department. Record and Pension Office. Compiled Records Showing Service of Military Units in Volunteer Union Organizations. (Washington, District of Columbia : The National Archives, c1964). FHL Collection 91st-97th Infantry FHL US/CAN Film 1488480. Other libraries with this microfilm. View online at Internet Archives.
- Tyler, William N. (William Nelson). Memoirs of Andersonville ( 95th Illinois Infantry Regiment). (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1993), FHL fiche 6084290
- Vance, Joseph W and Illinois. Adjutant General's Office. Report of the Adjutant General of the State of Illinois, 1861-1866. (Salt Lake City, Utah : Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1957, 1980). FHL Collection FHL US/CAN Film 1670785. Other libraries with this book. View online at Internet Archives. Rosters of officers, enlisted men, and historical memorandum of the regiments.
- Wood, Wales W and United States. Army. Illinois Infantry Regiment, 95th (1862-1865). A History of the Ninety-Fifth Regiment, Illinois Infantry Volunteers from its Organization in the Fall of 1862 Until its Final Discharge from the United States Service, in 1865. (Washington, District of Columbia : Library of Congress, Photo duplication Service, c1987).FHL Collection FHL US/CAN Film 1550190. Other libraries with this book. View online at Internet Archives and Google Books.
References[edit | edit source]
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).