86th Regiment, Indiana Infantry
Brief History[edit | edit source]
This Unit was organized at Lafayette, Indiana, and mustered in September 4, 1862. They had Operations in East Tennessee March 15-April 22 and at Nashville till June. They mustered out June 6, 1865.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 86th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 10 May 2012).
- The Wikipedia article, 86th Regiment Indiana Infantry, (accessed 21 June 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin[edit | edit source]
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Officer and Non-Commissioned Office - see Roster
- Company A - many men from Boone County - see Roster on page 388
- Company B - many men from Carroll County - see Roster on page 389
- Company C - many men from Fountain, Orange and Jay counties - see Roster on page 391
- Company D - many men from Warren County - see Roster on page 392
- Company E - many men from Warren County - see Roster on page 394
- Company F- many men from Boone County - see Roster on page 395
- Company G - many men from Clinton County - see Roster on page 397
- Company H - many men from Clinton County - see Roster on page 398
- Company I - many men from Tippecanoe County - see Roster on page 400
- Company K - many men from Montgomeny ang Tippecanoe counties - see Roster on page 401
The list of companies with their counties and their rosters are on the 86th Regimen, Indiana Infantry on CIVIL WAR INDEX web site. (accessed 21 Jan 2011)
Other Sources[edit | edit source]
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Indiana in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Indiana in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Indiana, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861-1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 13 Dec 2010) Brief history of the 86th Regiment, Indiana Infantry.
- Wikipedia (accessed 13 Dec 2010) article on the 86th Regiment, Indiana Infantry.
- Union Army Regimental History Index (accessed 14 Dec 2010) Index Of Regimental Histories: Artillery, Cavalry, Infantry, and other units, states Alabama to Indiana
- Barnes, James A., James R. Carnahan, and Thomas H. B. McCain. The Eighty-Sixth Regiment, Indiana Volunteer Infantry: A Narrative of Its Services in the Civil War of 1861-1865. (Crawfordsville, Ind: Journal Co, 1895) FHL US/CAN Fiche 6084423 (7 fiche) FHL Collection other library INTERNET ARCHIVE
References[edit | edit source]
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).