81st Regiment, Illinois Infantry
Brief History[edit | edit source]
The 81st Regiment, Illinois Infantry was organized at Anna, Illinois, and mustered in August 26, 1862. It moved to Chicago, Illinois, via Meridian and Vicksburg, Mississippi, July 19-August 5, 1865 and mustered out August 5, 1865.
For more information on the history of the 81st Regiment, Illinois Infantry, see the following:
• Wikipedia, (accessed 30 Dec 2010) article on the 81st Illinois Volunteer Infantry Regiment.
•The Civil War Archive. (accessed 30 Dec 2010) Brief history of the 81st Regiment Infantry.
Companies in this Regiment with County of Origin[edit | edit source]
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
[edit | edit source]
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 30 Dec. 2010) can be searched by soldier's name or by regiment; includes regimental rosters and additional history of the regiment.
BOOKS AND FILMS
- United States. War Department. Record and Pension Office. Compiled Records Showing Service of Military Units in Volunteer Union Organizations. (Washington, District of Columbia : The National Archives, c1964).FHL Collection 76th-82nd Infantry FHL US/CAN Film 1488478. Other libraries with this microfilm. View online at Internet Archives.
- Vance, Joseph W and Illinois. Adjutant General's Office. Report of the Adjutant General of the State of Illinois, 1861-1866 .(Salt Lake City, Utah : Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1957, 1980).FHL CollectionFHL US/CAN Film 1670784. Other libraries with this book. View online at Internet Archives.Rosters of officers, enlisted men, and historical memoranda of the regiments.
- Doctorman, Jo Ann Roberts, John Palmer Reese,and United States. Army. Illinois Infantry Regiment, 81st. Company E. Letters Home a Collection of Civil War Papers and Letters.(Carterville, Illinois : Genealogy Society of Southern Illinois, c1991) Includes full-name index, family group sheets for the O'daniell family and relations and muster and descriptive list of Company E.FHL Collection.FHL US/CAN Book977.3 M2d. Other libraries with this book.
References[edit | edit source]
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).