151st Regiment, New York Infantry
The 151st regiment was organized at Lockport, Niagara County and mustered in under Colonel William Emerson, Lieutenant Colonel Erwin Bowen and Major Thomas Fay on October 22, 1862.
They were mustered out at Washington, D. C., June 26, 1865 under Lt. Colonel Bogardus.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 151st Regiment Infantry, (accessed 17 August 2012).
The New York State Military Museum website has a unit history project page for the 151st Infantry Regiment.
The Civil War in the East website gives a timeline for the involvement of 151st New York Infantry Regiment in the war.
The 151st Regiment, New York Infantry article on Wikipedia gives a brief history of the unit, including places served, battles fought, and commanders.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles,companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
See the Regiment Roster, for listing of individuals, their company and their involvement.
Company A - principally recruited from Independent Rifles — at Medina, Orleans County
Company B - principally recruited from Niagara Falls, Niagara County
Company C - principally recruited from Batavia, Genesee County
Company D - principally recruited from Albion, Orleans County
Company E - principally recruited from Rochester, Monroe County
Company F - principally recruited from Lockport, Niagara County
Company H - principally recruited from the county of Niagara
Company I - principally recruited from Lockport, Niagara County
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘New York in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- New York in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for New York, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861-1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Phisterer, Frederick. New York in the War of the Rebellion, 1861 to 1865. Albany, New York : J.B. Lyon, 1912. Google Books, other libraries with this book, FHL Collection FHL book 974.7 M2p, FHL film 1486494-1486496
- The Union Army : a History of Military Affairs in the Loyal States, 1861-65, Records of the Regiments in the Union Army, Cyclopedia of Battles, Memoirs of Commanders and Soldiers, Reprint of original published: Madison, WI.: Federal Pub. Co., 1908. Other libraries with this book,FHL Collection FHL book 973 M2ua
- Howell, Helena Adelaide. Chronicles of the one hundred fifty-first regiment New York state volunteer infantry 1862-1865 : contributed by its surviving members. Washington, D.C. : Library of Congress, Photoduplication Service, 1988 (originally published: Albion, N.Y. : A.M. Eddy, 1911. ) Online edition, FHL Film 1550775.
- United States. Army.New York Infantry Regiment, 151st (1862-1865). Chronicles of the One Hundred Fifty-First Regiment New York State Volunteer Infantry, 1862-1865. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1992) FHL Fiche 6083848
- Frederick Henry Dyer, A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion, (Des Moines, Iowa: Dyer Publishing Co., 1908), as cited at Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (database on-line) at https://www.nps.gov/civilwar/soldiers-and-sailors-database.htm (accessed 2010).
- New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs. "Unit History Project : 151st Infantry Regiment” in New York State Military Museum and Veterans Research Center at http://dmna.state.ny.us/historic/reghist/civil/infantry/151stInf/151stInfMain.htm (accessed 18 December 2010) citing Frederick Phisterer, New York in the War of the Rebellion, 3rd ed. (Albany, N.Y.: J. B. Lyon Company, 1912).
- Hawks, Steve.The Civil War in the East. Database. http://www.civilwarintheeast.com/USA/NY/NY151.php (accessed 7 December 2010)