12th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry
The 12th Regiment Wisconsin Infantry was organized in Madison, Wisconsin, October 18 to December 13, 1861. It was in the Grand Review May 24. Then it moved to Louisville, Kentucky,in June. The Regiment was mustered out July 20, 1865.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 12th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 16 November 2012).
- The Wikipedia Article, 12th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry Regiment, (accessed 16 November 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
The following company links are to rosters taken from Roster of Wisconsin Volunteers, found on the Internet Archives web site. The rosters show the men who served in each regiment, their residences, dates of enlistment and mustering out, and other remarks.
Unassigned Recruits Roster page 738.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier or sailor. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in 'Wisconsin in the Civil War' and 'United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865' (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Wisconsin in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Wisconsin, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War 1861 to 1865, Part 1 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Company E Association of the Twelfth Wisconsin Infantry in the Civil War of 1861-65. Reunion. Re-union of Company E Association, Twelfth Wisconsin Infantry. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1993), FHL Fiche 6118372 and FHL Fiche 6118373.
- Hetzel, Bev. 12th Civil War regiment reunion held in West Bend, Wisconsin, on August 29 and 30, 1911. (West Bend, Wisconsin: B. Hetzel, [200-?]), FHL book 977.5 M2hbt and Wisconsin 12th Infantry deaths reported the year before the 1911 reunion held in West Bend, Wisconsin, August 29-30, 1911. [S.I.: s.n., 200?]), FHL book 977.5 M2hbd.
- Rood, Hosea Whitford. Story of the service of Company E and of the Twelfth Wisconsin Regiment, Veteran Volunteer Infantry in the War of the Rebellion : beginning with September 7, 1861, and ending July 21, 1865. (Washington [District of Columbia]: Library of Congress, Photoduplication Service, 1987), FHL film 1550120.
- United States. Army. Wisconsin Infantry Regiment, 12th (1861-1865). Company E. Story of the Service of Company E, and of the Twelfth Wisconsin Regiment of Veteran Infantry, in the War of the Rebellion : beginning with September 7, 1861, and ending July 21, 1865. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1993), FHL fiche 6118374.
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).
- Wisconsin. Roster of Wisconsin Volunteers, War of the Rebellion, 1861-1865. Volume I. (Madison: Democrat Printing Company, State Printers, 1886)