Woodbury County, Iowa Genealogy
Guide to Woodbury County, Iowa ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Woodbury County, Iowa|
Location in the state of Iowa
Location of Iowa in the U.S.
|Founded||January 15, 1851|
|County Seat||Sioux City|
|Address||Woodbury County Courthouse|
620 Douglas St.
Sioux City, IA 51101
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 Cemeteries
- 5.2 Census
- 5.3 Church
- 5.4 Court
- 5.5 Directories
- 5.6 Land
- 5.7 Local Histories
- 5.8 Maps
- 5.9 Military
- 5.10 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 5.11 Newspapers
- 5.12 Probate
- 5.13 Taxation
- 5.14 Vital Records
- 5.15 Societies and Libraries
- 5.16 Websites
- 5.17 References
County Information[edit | edit source]
Description[edit | edit source]
The County was named for Levi Woodbury (1789–1851), a senator and Governor of New Hampshire who served as a Supreme Court justice from 1844 until his death. The County has Sioux City as its seat and the County was created 1851. The County is located in the northwest area of the state.
Woodbury County, Iowa Record Dates[edit | edit source]
County Courthouse[edit | edit source]
Woodbury County Courthouse
620 Douglas St.
Sioux City, IA 51101
History[edit | edit source]
Woodbury County was created when the legislature passed an act organizing the county in 1853. The County was named in honor of Levi Woodbury former Governor of New Hampshire, US Secretary of the Treasury and Supreme Court Justice.
Parent County[edit | edit source]
1851--Woodbury County was created 15 January 1851 from unorganized territory. It was originally named Wahkaw, but changed to Woodbury 22 January 1853. It was organized 7 March 1853. County seat: Sioux City 
Boundary Changes[edit | edit source]
For animated maps illustrating Iowa County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Iowa County Boundary Maps" (1816-1872) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
Record Loss[edit | edit source]
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Places/Localities[edit | edit source]
Populated Places[edit | edit source]
For a complete list of populated places, including small neighborhoods and suburbs, visit HomeTown Locator. The following are the most historically and genealogically relevant populated places in this county:
Neighboring Counties[edit | edit source]
Resources[edit | edit source]
- Woodbury County by Genweb Iowa
Cemeteries[edit | edit source]
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Iowa Cemeteries for more information.|
Census[edit | edit source]
- 1895 - Iowa State Census, 1895 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1905 - Iowa State Census, 1905 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1915 - Iowa State Census, 1915 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1925 - Iowa State Census. 1925 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1856- Iowa census of Woodbury County, Sioux City, - Book format
Church[edit | edit source]
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Iowa Church Records.
- Records of the American Lutheran Church, Sioux City, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Skien Lutheran Church, Sloan
- Records of the Skien Lutheran Church, Sloan, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Court[edit | edit source]
Directories[edit | edit source]
- Sioux City, Iowa Directories, 1889-90, 1892-93 at Ancestry.com ($)
Land[edit | edit source]
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Iowa Land and Property for additional information about early Iowa land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
Local Histories [edit | edit source]
Local histories are available for Woodbury County, Iowa Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Iowa Local Histories.
- Woodbury and Plymouth Counties, Iowa History at Ancestry.com ($)
- Woodbury County history, Iowa at Ancestry.com ($)
- History of the counties of Woodbury and Plymouth, Iowa : includes... By Will Leach Clark, J. E. Norris and others. Chicago, Illinois : A. Warner, 1890-1891. Online at: FamilySearch Digital Library, Internet Archive, Google Books.
- The History of Woodbury County, Iowa. By the Woodbury County Genealogical Society. Dallas, Texas : National ShareGraphics, c1984. Online at: FamilySearch Digital Library.
Maps[edit | edit source]
Military[edit | edit source]
- 1835-1998 - Iowa, Armed Forces Grave Registrations, ca. 1835-1998 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1949 - Iowa, Grand Army of the Republic Membership Records, 1861-1949 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1862-1910 - Iowa, Records of Persons Subject to Military Duty, 1862-1910 at FamilySearch — index
Naturalization and Citizenship[edit | edit source]
- 1859-1990 - United States, Iowa Naturalization Records, 1859-1990 at FamilySearch — index and images
Newspapers[edit | edit source]
NewspaperArchive.com ($) has a large collection of digitized Iowa newspapers online. This database is sometimes free at libraries.
- 1882-1909 — Sioux Valley News at Ancestry.com ($) — Correctionville, IA, USA
- 1909-15 and 1955 — Correctionville News at Ancestry.com ($) — Correctionville, IA, USA
- 1912-14 and 1937 — The Correctionville Argus at Ancestry.com ($) — Correctionville, IA, USA
- 1884-86 — Barometern at Ancestry.com ($) — Sioux City, IA, USA
- 1964 The Sioux City Sunday Journal at Ancestry.com ($) — Sioux City, IA, USA
Probate[edit | edit source]
Online Probate Records
In most counties in Iowa, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate ticklers, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for Iowa - Woodbury - Probate records.
Taxation[edit | edit source]
Iowa tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. Tax lists were usually made every year, however, there may be gaps of several years. For more information, see the wiki page Iowa Taxation.
Vital Records[edit | edit source]
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Iowa Department of Public Health or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred. See also How to order Iowa Vital Records or order electronically online.
Births[edit | edit source]
- 1850-1939 - Iowa, Delayed Birth Records, 1850-1939 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1921-1942 - Iowa, Birth Records, 1921-1942 at FamilySearch — index and images
Marriage[edit | edit source]
- 1518-1996 - Iowa, United States Marriages at FindMyPast — index $
- 1838-1934 - Iowa, County Marriages, 1838-1934 at FamilySearch — index and images
Death[edit | edit source]
- 1850-1990 - Iowa, Deaths and Burials 1850-1990 at FamilySearch
- 1880-1992 - Iowa, County Death Records, 1880-1992 at FamilySearch — index
- 1904-1951 - Iowa, Death Records, 1904-1951 at FamilySearch — index and images
- Woodbury County, Iowa Obituary and Death Notice Collection Free from GenealogyBuff.com. Obits and death notices from the Sioux City, Moville, Sloan, Correctionville, and Danbury areas.
Societies and Libraries[edit | edit source]
Woodbury County Genealogical Society
P.O. Box 624
Sioux City, IA 51102-0624
Sioux City Public Museum Research Center
607 4th Street
Sioux City, Iowa 51101
Family History Centers[edit | edit source]
- Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes.
- For current information about a center near you, go to the Family History Center Map
- Sioux City Iowa Family History Center 1201 W Clifton Ave, Sioux City, IA 51104 United States Location Map
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Woodbury County, IA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Iowa Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Iowa Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Woodbury County Information
- Woodbury County Migrations
- Woodbury County, Iowa Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
References[edit | edit source]
- Wikipedia contributors, "Woodbury, Iowa," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodbury_County,_Iowa."
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Woodbury County, Iowa. Page 230-238 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002; Alice Eichholz, ed. Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources, Third ed. (Provo, Utah: Ancestry, 2004), 222-225.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Wikipedia contributors, "Woodbury County, Iowa," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodbury_County%2C_Iowa, accessed 5 November 2019.
To access available information, first log into FamilySearch.