Wharfedale Family History Group
|Address||See the website|
The Wharfedale Family History Group promotes family history interest in an area consisting of fourteen historic parishes and numerous towns and villages along the River Wharfe in the northern part of the old West Riding of Yorkshire.
The group holds monthly meetings in Burley-in-Wharfedale on the 1st Thursday (at the Salem Church Hall) and in Threshfield on the 3rd Saturday (in the Village Institute). They offer the following services:
- Publications for sale
- Online look-up of members' surnames of interest
- Look-up service (for a fee)
Benefits of Membership in Local Family History Societies[edit | edit source]
The following advantages and benefits of joining a local family history society will help you extend your pedigree and grow your knowledge and research skills in each England county:
- One of the best ways to discover other (distant) relatives, with whom to collaborate on family lines.
- Learn about events and local history which directly affected your ancestors.
- Know how/what effective search strategies and other critical approaches to employ in your research.
- Obtain numerous ideas for helping you overcome brickwalls in constructing your genealogy.
- Learn about, use, help create critical products being compiled by each society, such as transcribing or indexing churchyard, marriage, baptism, census, military, occupation, and etc records of the area or county, perhaps even helping to build data content for your parish[es] of interest (i.e.index) if desired.
- Purchase books, CDs, microfiche, or the services of knowledgeable and experienced local residents to perform "lookup" services for all those researching ancestry from remote areas around the world.
- Share/publish your ancestral surnames of interests for others to view and respond with help and assistance in various ways.