Western Nevada Indian Agency (Nevada)
Agency Headquarters[edit | edit source]
Western Nevada Agency
Carson City, Nevada 89706
The Western Nevada Agency is a currently operating agency of the Bureau of Indian Affairs, located at Carson City, Nevada. Its supervising office is the Phoenix Area Office.
Indian Tribes, Reservations and Colonies Associated With This Agency[edit | edit source]
Washoe[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
The Western Nevada Agency was previously known as the Carson Valley Agency.
Records[edit | edit source]
The majority of records of individuals were those created by the agencies. Some records may be available to tribal members through the tribal headquarters.They were (and are) the local office of the Bureau of Indian Affairs, and were charged with maintaining records of the activities of those under their responsibility. Among these records are:
- Allotment records
- Annuity rolls
- Census records
- Health records
- School census and records
- Vital records
References[edit | edit source]
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974.
- Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online