West Lulworth, Dorset Genealogy
Guide to West Lulworth, Dorset ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|West Lulworth, Dorset|
|County||Dorset, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Wareham and Purbeck|
|Parish registers: 1745; For more records see Winfrith Newburgh|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1731|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Dorset|
|Location of Archive|
|Dorset History Centre|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
LULWORTH, WEST (Holy Trinity), a parish, in the union of Wareham and Purbeck, liberty of Bindon, Wareham division of Dorset, 8 miles SW from Wareham. ..
LULWORTH (WEST) (Holy Trinity), a village and a parish in Wareham district, Dorset. The Village stands under Bindon hill, 5 miles SSW of Wool railway station, and 8½ SW by W of Wareham; curves over a length of nearly a mile to the coast.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church records[edit | edit source]
West Lulworth parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|West Lulworth Online Parish Records|
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Dorset Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England, publ. London: 1848. Date accessed: 12 July 2013.
- John M. Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, publ. London and Edinburgh: 1870. Date accessed: 12 July 2013.
- Dorset, England, Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1538-1812, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Partially indexed.
- Dorset, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Partially indexed.
- Dorset, England, Marriages and Banns, 1813-1921, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Partially indexed.
- Dorset, England, Deaths and Burials, 1813-2001, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Partially indexed.
- 'Search Marriage Records in Dorset,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 4 July 2012.
- 'Dorset Marriages,' Find My Past, accessed 28 July 2012.
- 'Dorset Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 10 January 2014.