Wells next the Sea, Norfolk Genealogy
Guide to Wells next the Sea, Norfolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Wells next the Sea, Norfolk|
|Poor Law Union||Walsingham|
|Parish registers: 1547|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1600|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norwich|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
WELLS (St. Peter), a sea-port town and parish, in the union of Walsingham, hundred of North Greenhoe, W. division of Norfolk, 33 miles (N. W. by N.) from Norwich. The Society of Friends, the Independents, Primitive Methodists, and Wesleyans have places of worship. 
Wells next-the-the Sea St Nicholas is an Ancient Parish in the Walsingham deanery of the Diocese of Norwich.
The mideval church was lost in a fire in 1879 St Nicholas is the market town replacement.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Walsingham 1837-1938
- Fakenham 1939-1974
The Register Office, Fakenham Connect, Oak Street, Fakenham, NR21 9SR.
Tel: 01328 850111. E-mail: email@example.com
Church records[edit | edit source]
Wells next the Sea, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Wells next the Sea, Norfolk Genealogy Online Parish Records|
Norfolk Record Office reference PD 679 /1-30, 33,37-38
During the 1999 microfilming of the burial register for the year 1894 pages 158 & 159 were omitted by the microfilming and 16 burials are not available between January and August 1894.
It is necessary for you to approach the original records for this period:
Norfolk Record Office
The Archive Centre
Telephone: 01603 222599
Fax: 01603 761885
This office does provide a research service for those unable to visit personally (fee payable).
Courtesy of Wells Local Family History Group: Transcriptions of Parish and Census Records available by request.
Non-Conformist churches[edit | edit source]
Our Lady Star of the Sea (Roman Catholic) http://www.norfolkchurches.co.uk/wellsrc/wellsrc.htm Norfolk Churches website for images and description
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
http://www.btinternet.com/~e.c.apling/1891Census/Wells.htm transcript of 1891 census
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Walsingham Union was incorporated under the terms of the 1834 Act, and the union workhouse was built at Great Snoring, but not completed until 1838. The Walsingham Union Workhouse at Great Snoring was opened in 1838. It was situated close to the boundary between the parishes of Great Snoring and Thursford and was sometimes known as Thursford Workhouse. Poor Law Unions were abolished in 1930 and the responsibilities of Walsingham Union Board of Guardians were taken over by Norfolk County Council Guardians' Committee No. 7. From 1930 the former Workhouse became known as Walsingham Public Assistance Institution. On 26 and 27 June 1934 the remaining thirty inmates (including two infants but no children) were transferred to West Beckham and Gressenhall Institutions and Walsingham Institution officially closed on 30 June 1934. The building was subsequently adapted for use as a smallpox hospital. By 1976 the building was derelict and was demolished in the early 1990s.
Acquisition Received by the Norfolk Record Office on 26 February 1982 (C/GP 19/192-198) and on unknown dates.
Copies C/GP19/1-6, 131, 133-135, 137, 141, 143-146, 148, 150-151, 173-181 are on microfilm.
RelatedMaterial For records of Guardians Committee No. 7 (including the administration of Red House Children's Home in Little Snoring and the boarding-out of children), see C/GC 7. See Public Assistance Sub-Committee minutes, 11 July 1934 and 12 September 1934, C/C 10/455. The records of the County Architect's Department include plans of the alterations for use as a smallpox hospital dated February 1937, see C/AR 1/29-31. The one inch to one mile Ordnance Survey Map of 1954 designates the building 'smallpox hospital'.
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Norfolk: Wells-next-the-Sea on GenUKI
- Wells Next the Sea St Nicholas on A Church Near You
- Wellscofe on Norfolk Churches
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England(1848), pp. 499-506. Date accessed: 30 July 2013.
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 27 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 17 March 2014.
- 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 8 February 2014.
- 'Norfolk Baptism Project 1813 to 1880,' Tinstaafl Transcripts, accessed 10 April 2014.