Washington Probate Records
|Washington Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Online Resources[edit | edit source]
- Washington, Wills and Probate Records, 1807-1997, ($), index and images, incomplete.
- Washington, D.C., Wills and Probate Records, 1737-1952, ($), index and images, incomplete.
- U.S., Washington, County Records, 1803-2010 Browsable records, incomplete for all counties.
- Washington, County Probate Case Files, 1832-1950 Index and images
- Washington, County Probate Records, 1853-1929 Images
- Washington, County Records, 1856-2009, ($), images/no index.
Probate Courts[edit | edit source]
In the territorial era, probate courts were established in each county to keep records of wills, bonds, orders, and the administrations of estates. When the superior courts succeeded the probate courts in 1891, all of the records of the clerks of the probate courts were transferred to the county clerk in each courthouse. Some probates were filed in the superior court.
The Family History Library has acquired copies of probate records for a few counties in Washington. However, they are also available at the various county courthouses, or the county may have transferred early records to the Washington State Archives at http://www.secstate.wa.gov/archives/.
Record Content[edit | edit source]
|WILL||written instructions by a person regarding settlement of his affairs after his death|
|INTESTATE||deceased without a will|
|PETITION FOR PROBATE OF WILL||request to the Court for administration of estate of deceased person|
|NOTICE OF APPLICATION FOR LETTERS OF ADMINISTRATION||person appointed by Court to direct distribution of estate; not specified in will|
|EXECUTOR||administrator appointed in will|
|BOND OF ADMINSTRATOR||money assurance of validity|
|AFFIDAVIT OF PUBLICATION||declaration upon oath|
|INVENTORY AND APPRAISAL|
|LETTERS OF GUARDIANSHIP||Court given authority to care for another person
References[edit | edit source]
Washington Research Outline. Salt Lake City, Utah: Intellectual Reserve, Inc., Family History Department, 1998, 2001.
- NOTE: All of the information from the original research outline has been imported into the FamilySearch Wiki and is being updated as time permits.
Wiki articles describing online collections are found at:
To access available information, first log into FamilySearch.