Washington County, Idaho Genealogy
Guide to Washington County, Idaho ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Washington County, Idaho|
Location in the state of Idaho
Location of Idaho in the U.S.
|Founded||February 20, 1879|
|Address||Washington County Courthouse|
256 East Court
Weiser, ID 83672-0670
- 1 County Information
- 2 Places/Localities
- 3 Resources
- 4 Archives and Libraries
- 5 Cemeteries
- 6 Census
- 7 Church History and Records (Rural)
- 8 County Commissioners' Records
- 9 Court Records
- 10 Directories
- 11 History
- 12 Land and Property
- 13 Maps
- 14 Military History and Records
- 15 Miscellaneous Series
- 16 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 17 Newspapers
- 18 Obituaries
- 19 Probate Records
- 20 Taxation
- 21 Vital Records
- 22 Societies, Libraries and Museums
- 23 Websites
- 24 References
County Information[edit | edit source]
Description[edit | edit source]
The County was named for George Washington. The County has Weiser as its seat and the County was created February 20, 1879. The County is located in the west central area of the state.
Washington County, Idaho Record Dates[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
Named for George Washington, first President of the United States of America.
Parent County[edit | edit source]
Boundary Changes[edit | edit source]
3 March 1911: Adams County created from part of Washington County
Record Loss[edit | edit source]
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Places/Localities[edit | edit source]
For a complete list of populated places, including small neighborhoods and suburbs, visit Home Town Locator. The following are the most historically and genealogically relevant populated places in this county:
The above list of places includes incorporated cities and towns, unincorporated towns and communities, and place names that may have been used in family histories. Some have well-organized records and even have websites. Some are simply social communities with no official records, but which may be referenced in small-town newspapers. The list is provided to help researchers identify localities within the county. As records or histories of these localities are identified, a page will be added for each of these place names. This list of places in Washington County, Idaho was compiled from the Lists of Places in Idaho in Wikipedia and from the map of Washington County in Virtual Earth.
Resources[edit | edit source]
The types of records that follow are used for genealogy and family history. Most tell what you may learn and how to locate the records. Links to Internet sites usually go directly to Washington County, Idaho Genealogy entries with names, images, or information.
|Don't overlook Washington County, Idaho Genealogy items in the FamilySearch Library Catalog. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see Archives and Libraries.|
Many of the older court, land, naturalization, probate, pension, and vital records for Washington County have been microfilmed and are available at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City and through their family history centers. They are also available at the Idaho State Archives in Boise. Details of the county records in these respective institutions can be obtained from their online catalogs or listings. Original records which have been microfilmed and more recent records are in the county courthouse in Weiser .
Archives and Libraries[edit | edit source]
Many public libraries provide internet access to sites of value to the family historian. Some have special collections of historical and cultural interest, as well. The following libraries may have some resources of value, but use of some or all of them may require a visit to the library.
- Cambridge District Library
120 N Superior St
Cambridge, ID 83610
Phone: (208) 257-3434
- Midvale District Library
70 E Bridge St
Midvale, ID 83645
Phone: (208) 355-2213
- Weiser Public Library
628 E 1st St
Weiser, ID 83672
Phone: (208) 549-1243
Cemeteries[edit | edit source]
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Idaho Cemeteries for more information.|
There are many cemeteries in Washington County. For a list of those that have been identified, and links to transcriptions and/or photographs of tombstones, go to Washington County, Idaho Cemetery Records.
For the cemeteries in or immediately adjacent to the cities, please see the city pages for the cities listed above.
Census[edit | edit source]
The 1890 federal census for Idaho was destroyed. However, the Idaho State Historical Society Public Archives and Research Library is creating a list of 1890 Idaho residents by indexing a variety of records, 1885-1894. This reconstructed list will substitute for the destroyed 1890 federal census.
For a summary of census records for the state of Idaho, see Idaho Census Records.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons)[edit | edit source]
- List of Washington County Stakes and Wards to about 1948.
- The following are local congregations (wards) which existed in Washington County, Idaho prior to 1950: Indian Valley Ward, Washington County, Idaho
Church History and Records (Rural)[edit | edit source]
County Commissioners' Records[edit | edit source]
The minute books of the County Commissioners contain interesting tidbits of history about the county as well as the names of individuals appealing to the County Commissioners for action on issues of concern to them. Minutes of those meetings were recorded from the formation of the county, for most counties. Some counties now post the minutes of current meetings online.
Most of these records have been preserved in the county courthouses of the State of Idaho. Few have been microfilmed. Contact the county clerk for information about years covered and availability.
Court Records[edit | edit source]
Some of the early court records of Washington County, Idaho have been microfilmed and are available at the Idaho State Archives in Boise, Idaho. The records filmed may include civil suits, divorce papers, judgment dockets, etc.. Copies of these microfilmed court records are also available at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City, Utah or at any of the Library's Family History Centers. Additional court records and more recent records are housed at the courthouse in Weiser and can be accessed by paying a visit to the Washington County courthouse.
Some of the records of Washington County which have been microfilmed are:
- Power of attorney, 1880-1921 Idaho. County Court (Washington County)
- Register of civil actions, 1881-1929 Idaho. County Court (Washington County)
Directories[edit | edit source]
The Idaho State Archives has a collection of city, county, state and regional directories.
History[edit | edit source]
A Saga of Salubria and a History of Washington County (same as above) Revisited is also available in a digitized version at the FamilySearch Catalog.
In 1940-41 a listing of all residents who had lived in Washington County for at least 50 years was made by the Weiser American newspaper. Their name, city in which they lived and how long they had lived in Washington County was given. Washington County Pioneers.
Land and Property[edit | edit source]
Land and Property records are generally recorded in the county courthouse of the county in which the transaction took place. For original records of Washington County, Idaho, one may visit the courthouse in Weiser, Idaho.
The p://Idaho State Archives has microfilmed many deeds, homestead records, etc., of Washington County beginning 20 Feb 1879 when it was separated from Boise County, and these can be accessed by visiting the Archives in Boise, Idaho.
The Family History Library in Salt Lake City, Utah has microfilmed originals of the following records found in the Washington County Courthouse in Weiser, Idaho which can be accessed at the Library in Salt Lake City or in any of its Family History Centers:
- Declaration of homestead, 1875-1912
- Deeds, 1879-1902; index, 1874-1901
- Possessory land claim, 1873-1908
Maps[edit | edit source]
- An 1895 map of Washington and surrounding counties is available online.
- A digital Washington County Idaho map is available online.
- Map of Washington County, Idaho is available online.
Military History and Records[edit | edit source]
World War I draft registration cards, 1917-1918, for Washington County have been microfilmed. Copies of these records are available at the Family History Library (their microfilm number 1452223) and are also available online at Ancestry.com, for a subscription fee. The original cards are maintained in the Southeast Regional Archives of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) in East Point, Georgia and have been microfilmed by the National Archives as their Microcopy M1509. The Washington County GenWeb site has abstracted the information on these draft registration cards for those who registered in Washington County.
Online Records[edit | edit source]
- 1940-1945 - Idaho, World War II Draft Registration Cards,1940-1945 at FamilySearch — index and images
Miscellaneous Series[edit | edit source]
Often overlooked by the genealogist, this group of volumes may contain affidavits for citizenship, final disposition of estates, divorce decrees, and many other types of valuable documents. The content varies from county to county, year to year and from clerk to clerk. When the estate case files, civil or criminal files are not available or have been destroyed, you may find key documents recorded here. Most counties will have an index to this series and it is a must search if the information you are seeking is not found elsewhere. The following Washington County records have been microfilmed and are available for viewing at the Washington County courthouse in Wesier, Idaho, at the Idaho State Archives in Boise, Idaho or at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City, Utah or at any of the Library's Family History Centers:
- Washington-10 4 Miscellaneous Index, Direct, Book 1, pp A-E (con't on Washington-11/1) 1883-1968 Court
- Washington-11 1 Miscellaneous Index, Direct, Book 1, pp E-Z (con't from Washington-10/4) 1883-1968 Court
- Washington-11 2 Miscellaneous Index, Indirect, Book 1 1883-1968 Court
- Washington-11 3 Record, Miscellaneous, v. 1, pp 1-155 (con't on Washington-12/1) 1892-1905 Court
- Washington-12 1 Record, Miscellaneous, v. 1, pp 154-400 (con't from Washington-11/3) 1905-1915 Court
- Washington-12 2 Miscellaneous Record, Book 2 1915-1921 Court
- Washington-12 3 Miscellaneous Record, Book 3 1921-1931 Court
Naturalization and Citizenship[edit | edit source]
Newspapers[edit | edit source]
Current[edit | edit source]
- Upper County Reporter
- Weiser Signal - American
Historical[edit | edit source]
Copies of issues of many Idaho newspapers are found in the collections of the Idaho State Archives.
Obituaries[edit | edit source]
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Online Probate Records
The Idaho State Archives has also microfilmed some early probate records of Washington County, and these can be viewed at their facilities in Boise.
For other and later probate records, one can visit the county courthouse in Weiser.
Taxation[edit | edit source]
Any existing tax assessment rolls for Washington County should be in the courthouse in Wesier and would need to be accessed by visiting there.
Vital Records[edit | edit source]
Birth[edit | edit source]
- 1861-1911 - Idaho, Birth Index, 1861-1911 at FamilySearch — index
- 1883-1929 - Idaho County Birth and Death Records 1883-1929 at FamilySearch — index and images
The Birth Registers for Washington County, 1907-1911, have been microfilmed and are available at the Idaho State Archives in Boise and at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City, Utah. Birth records, 1911 to present, for individuals born in Washington County are included in and recorded at the state level. These records are restricted for a period of one hundred years from the time of the individual's birth but can be obtained by following the guidelines as issued by the State of Idaho. See the Vital Recordssection under the subject Idaho for more details.
There are 443 births recorded in Washington County online at Idaho Births and Christenings.
Marriage[edit | edit source]
- 1800-1987 - Idaho, United States Marriages at FindMyPast — index $
- 1864-1976 - Idaho Church Marriages, 1864-1976 at FamilySearch — index
- 1864-1950 - Idaho County Marriages, 1864-1950 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1878-1898; 1903-1942 - Idaho Marriages, 1878-1898; 1903-1942 at FamilySearch — index
- 1947-1963 - Idaho Marriage Index, 1947-1961 at FamilySearch — index
Nearly 13,200 marriages, 1879-1969, are listed on the Western States Marriage Index.
There are 244 Washington County marriages listed in Idaho Marriages.
Divorce[edit | edit source]
Death[edit | edit source]
- 1883-1929 - Idaho County Birth and Death Records 1883-1929 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1938-1961 - Idaho Death Certificates, 1938-1961 at FamilySearch — index
The Death Registers for Washington County, 1907-1911, have been microfilmed and are available at the Idaho State Archives in Boise and at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City. After 1911, deaths occurring in Washington County are included in the state-wide registration program. These records are restricted for a period of fifty years from the time of the individual's death but can be obtained by following the guidelines as mandated by the State of Idaho. See the Vital Records section under Idaho for details Idaho Vital Records.
Copies of death certificates from 1911-1954 are on microfilm and can be used at the Idaho State Archives in Boise, the Family History Library in Salt Lake City, Utah, BYU-Idaho University Library in Rexburg and several other locations.
A state-wide index to Idaho Deaths, 1911-1956 is available online. Efforts to expand this index to 1960 are underway. Another version is Idaho Death Index 1911-1956.
There are 474 Washington County deaths listed online at Idaho Deaths and Burials.
Societies, Libraries and Museums[edit | edit source]
Family History Centers[edit | edit source]
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes.
- For current information about a center near you, go to the Family History Center Map
Websites[edit | edit source]
- The Washington County ID GenWeb Project, a member of The IDGenWeb Project
- The USGenWeb Archives Project
- The USGenWeb Archives Project (backup site)
- FamilySearch.org FamilySearch Catalog for Washington County.
References[edit | edit source]
- Wikipedia contributors, "Washington, Idaho," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_County,_Idaho.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Washington County, Idaho. Page 177-180 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002; Alice Eichholz, ed. Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources, Third ed. (Provo, Utah: Ancestry, 2004), 180-181.
- WorldCat 50140092 FHL CollectionHandybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed.] (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002)
- Wikipedia contributors, "Valley County,Idaho," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia,https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_County,_Idaho#Communities, accessed 15 June 2019.
- Idaho State Historical Society Reference Series, Number 10, Counties and County Seats, Reissued July, 1991.
- census.gov - Idaho population by county, 1900-90 accessed 2009-05-03
- quickfacts.census.gov - Canyon County accessed 2009-05-03
To access available information, first log into FamilySearch.